ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wild discus growth

Registered Member

Default Wild discus growth

Hey everyone, I was wondering what everyone else's experience has been with wild discus and their growth. I got my bunch about 4 months ago and they were about 5 inches from tail to nose,and from what I can tell they don't seem to have grown very much in diameter at all, they've just gotten nice and fat. I know wild discus tend to be extremely slow growers but I was wondering how long it took for yours to show any noticeable growth and reach their maximum size. I got 10 F1 altums recently that have , in the month and a half that I've had them for , almost grown taller than the discus, so I guess having a constant size reference to check their growth isn't that bad after all . As a side note, despite the lack of ''visible'' growth, their patterns have developed tremendously. Here's some pictures of the same fish a few days after I got him 4 months ago , and how he's looking now. I almost didn't want him at the beginning, but he's turned out to be a gorgeous one, and his pattern keeps on getting more and more fabulous.

(Apologies for the blurry pictures, most of them are from video footage)

IMG_20190417_202710 (2).jpg
    wer.jpg
    asdc.jpg
    asxc.jpg
    cwaqd.jpg
    sdc.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Wild discus growth

Wild discus grow easily late into their second year. It is a fun year watching them bloom. Your guy looks wonderful.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Very nice.
    I think a little patience will yield a big payoff.
    Good luck

Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words. How old would you recon 5 inch fish tend to be Pat? I'm planning on making a big aquarium for the guys but I want them to have fully grown first
    Last edited by Amazon Sword; 07-12-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Sword View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. How old would you recon 5 inch fish tend to be Pat? I'm planning on making a big aquarium for the guys but I want them to have fully grown first
    That is a little tricky. I figure if the fish is still growing a five inch fish is between a year to 18 months old. If smaller most likely a year or so. If not growing who knows.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening