AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6,000 gallon WC

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default My 6,000 gallon WC

Ok........it’s true.....a 6,000g WC, but not w my Discus. I wish I had an aquarium that big. Each summer, especially w all the rain we’ve had, my 6,000g koi pond’s PH level drops lower and so I ran a hose w well water into it and extra water ran out the outlet for overflow. Honestly....I forgot the water was on and over did it. Anyway, the water got refreshed while I slept....duh. I usually set an alarm on my phone, but was careless. Really though, even outside fish need water changes as well. All are ok and they loved the cooler water. When I got up this morning, my wife jokingly asked me if I was done w the pond change......she had already turned it off a couple of hours earlier. Oooops.

Default Re: My 6,000 gallon WC

Your wife is cool.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Funny stuff...any pics of the koi pond? I loved it when we were on well water...endless supply of water that we didn't have to pay the gov't for...

Real Name
    Bill G.

I’m trying to upload pics but am getting a failure to load message, even w phone pics.

Will try again later.

LOL, I once stuck a hose in a fish tank and forgot about it. I reckon about 1000 Litres overflowed from the tank and then underneath the adjoining neighbours door and into their house. (It was a big house, split into two residences by a locked door) I never mentioned what happened to them, neither did they. Go figure.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Bill, your wife is a champ. I bet she has saved your bacon more than once lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Bill images have to be <2MB to load. Try reducing the image quality in your phone camera settings or email them to yourself as they offer get resized automatically when emailed...I just got a new phone which takes 12MB pics on the highest image quality. Yikes!

Real Name
    Bill G.

Thnx danotaylor. I should have realized to change size......just haven’t needed to the last few posts. Anyway, appreciate your help.

Here are a couple of pics. Will take better pics on a sunny day.

C5CD22BC-299D-47F8-87A3-1864B74BD370.jpg
    95A37700-779A-485A-8C22-FEB718B2C1E8.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

My pleasure mate...very nice serene looking backyard set-up you have there...are the 2 ponds connected somehow? Your deck looks like an awesome place to sit, relax and contemplate life! Do you have to shut er' down and bring the koi indoors over winter?

We have a large back deck and I have been toying around with the idea of a raised pond at 1 end with a viewing window...

Real Name
    Bill G.

Thnx Dan. Yes, the smaller one receives the filtered water and waterfalls it to the larger one. Yes, I’m a nut and keep a 600 gallon pond setup in the basement for our harsh winters. I pump several hundred gallons directly to the basement pond each fall. Capturing them is indeed a challenge which I may have forego as I age. I even wrote an article abt basement ponding for winters some years ago in KOIUSA magazine. Some of my koi are 18 years old, have personality, and I’m not willing to risk them w a winter kill even though the deepest part is four feet deep with the edges being 2.5 ft deep so as to keep out herons. I also have a water spray sensor which sprays water at anything approaching the pond. That’s great until I forget and get soaked passing by in the zero turn mower. I love the koi as much as I do the Discus. I’ve had them breed, but quickly realized that my whole operation would change if I got into breeding. I kept a few of that batch and now just let nature take its course. In the winters, I can easily feed them by hand and even go so far as to feed them using my lips. Now you know I’m crazy.....but it’s fun. A few years ago I actually went snorkeling in the big pond. It was a blast....they accepted me and swam all around wo a worry. My eight pounders look SO cool up close. Now I don’t do it unless the wife is not home....she threatened to post a pic of me snorkeling on FB.

Real Name
    Daniel

Lol, that's sounds like a blast Bill. I would be guilty of snorkelling as well if the pond was big enough...not sure about smooching with the koi though, haha, fish lips, funny stuff!
    So 2.5' is too deep for herons to stand and fish your pond. That is good to know. Not sure how my wife would feel about an additional pond in the basement, lol. Where are you located? I'm in Cincinnati and the winters here don't seem to be too bad. That's coming from an Australian who lived the 1st 5 yrs here in the frozen NW part of Ohio...

Real Name
    Bill G.

I’m in north central IL. My basement pond is a wood framed rubber lined pool of sorts. I did not actually build a true pond there. Last year we had a polar vortex w temps way down for a spell. I also believe the koi are stronger not having to fight the winter temps and their immune systems are better off for a healthy quick start to the outdoor season come late March or early April. The lip feeding is a practice carried out by the Japanese if memory serves me correctly. Since the pellets are hard to hold onto, I often use Cheerios. The koi don’t have teeth and the grab is usually really quite gentle, but there is quite the kissing-like sound. If u ever head out Chicago way, pm me and stop by. I’m abt 90 miles SW of the Windy City. Love to meet other fish nuts.....and.....if u like insects, I have a rather large 50+ year collection in the insect room adjacent to the basement pond. My Discus tanks are upstairs in one of my daughter’s old rooms.
    EAD9A540-5083-4B85-8B90-41D3E78C04FD.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

Bill did you catch your koi out to over winter in the basement this year? Not sure about Nth Illinois but our SW Ohio winter has been very mild. Cheers mate!

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Bill did you catch your koi out to over winter in the basement this year? Not sure about Nth Illinois but our SW Ohio winter has been very mild. Cheers mate!
    Yes, I did as I do every winter. Even mild winters are not going to take any of my precious koi. Our winter has been mild....so far. I actually enjoy having them in and so close up like. Our high today was 19 degrees and the outside pond is ice covered.

Real Name
    Daniel

Haha, no snorkelling today while your wife is out, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast