ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about trying German Rams

Default Thinking about trying German Rams

I got disgusted with Angels. They became more of a chore than a joy so I'm getting rid of them all. I just took 40 fish of various sizes to the LPS yesterday. I left with a lot of what has been an annoyance removed and a pocketful of money for taking them. I love my LPS...

I came home to 14 empty tanks. My bottom rack was already empty but the lights were off so they were easy to ignore. Suddenly 2 100 gallon tanks on the top rack were empty. It felt spooky.

I need to play with breeding some type of fish while I wait for my Discus to get it on. I've tried before with the German Blue's but never had luck. I'm ready to try again. I have all too many big tanks and too few little ones, but I can fix that.

I came upon this you tube video. I'm really impressed with this guy. He has an incredible eye. It annoy's me that they never gave his name.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnlqnOo440
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Thinking about trying German Rams

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That was a great video Liz and I got a lot out of it since I have a small group of black ram juvies I will be working with. Sometimes a change is needed.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by timvriens View Post
    I've had Rams breed for me many times in my community tanks but never had the time to remove them to a separate breeder.
    They really are some of the best fish to watch, very animated.

If you watch this video you'll see that he does a drip system for water changes.... No aging... I like that :-)
    He also comments on inbreeding and hormones... Just sayin :-D

Good luck with it Liz.. I think it's an excellent choice

he is absolutely amazing. He's a genius. Have you ever seen such a perfect fish room? And it's so clean! He's good at everything I would like to be good at but will never be. He listens to his fish better than I do. His eye is better than mine. I thought that I was good, but this guy puts me to shame.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    I've had Rams breed for me many times in my community tanks but never had the time to remove them to a separate breeder.
    They really are some of the best fish to watch, very animated.

If you watch this video you'll see that he does a drip system for water changes.... No aging... I like that :-)
    He also comments on inbreeding and hormones... Just sayin :-D

Good luck with it Liz.. I think it's an excellent choice
    Thank you Slicksta. I'll start slow and if I'm successful make changes to the fish room. I used a drip system when I first started with Discus and I didn't like it with them. I don't think I want to go as far as put in one right away, but I'll keep it in mind.
    Mama Bear

Do what works best for you.
    But I think the Rams are an excellent choice no matter how you go about it. ;-)

They are. They love the water quality and temp of Discus tanks and they also get along in community tanks with a lower temp as long as they are accumlated to it slowly. It seems that they are more sensitive to temp changes than Discus.

I hope I can get my hands on some good ones. I also hope that I don't fail with them. They would be so fun to breed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I got my blues and a pair of Germans from CoralBandit/Tom Mueller on Aquabid. He blamed a lot of folks troubles with them on weak stock from LFS. Mine have been doing well, spawning in the their tank, but like John, and my angels, I haven't set a pair up on their own yet to support the fry. Someone else, maybe Adam mentioned rams are not very good parents, which I take to mean they give up early and eat the fry if they get the chance. But I do enjoy them.

The difference between you and me, Steve is that I find the greatest joy in breeding them.

I sold all my other Angels to concentrate an a breeding project with Half Blacks. Nothing happened in my third generation that was supposed to happen. I worked on this for three generations and failed. For now I need to take a serious break from Angels.

But for sure if you ever get fry form those Gold Pearlscales let me know. Once I get over my last Angelfish disappointment, Gold Pearls would would be my favorite fish to play with. I'd have to be careful about inbreeding with them. They go back years to a pair of Wifi Blue Marble Pearls I got. I bred sib to sib and got a ton of different strains. I should have played with them instead of the darned Half Blacks that I tried so hard with.

Oh, If I can't get the rams to raise their own kids I will have nothing more to do with them. I learned the right things to do from Dean's videos. I'll set up the tank right and give them plenty of chances to do it right. But I have always believed that a fish that isn't smart enough to raise it's own kids is too stupid to allowed to reproduce. It's one of my quirks.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 07-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

I would like to breed them, the angels too, but my fish room rearrangement got side tracked by other things this spring and I don't have the extra tanks set up right now. Hopefully soon.

I had been getting my Rams from John K. (snooky21) and I do believe those were the ones always laying eggs for me.
    I may have to take a look on Aqubid myself.
    Or maybe Wetspot.com?

Real Name
    Steve

Hi John,
    I live a few hours from The Wetspot and was at their store for the first time about a year ago.They had a wide range of fish, a few hundred tanks, but I do suspect they are bought from wholesellers. Their entire discus section was closed due to "the plague." (I'm skeptical) Their entire retail setup was built on individual tanks with Mattefilters (I was not familiar with them and they looked very grungy, but I guess that's how they work) and separate tank input water; no common water. I have bought mostly plants and wood, and a few dithers from them. I did not get to see their shipping department, a separate building, but it has a decent reputation.
    I liked the dedicated breeder feel of the guy on Aquabid. He said the other major seller there got his fish from him, too.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Good luck Liz, I will watch your new Rams with interest! They are such pretty fish. I am now thinking about finding some of those Gouramies we talked about this morning. I could use rain water for them...
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Barb! Hope you are well. Liz, maybe I missed it. Do you have rams yet?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast