AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about trying German Rams

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Thinking about trying German Rams

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Not to my knowledge. I think it's something I'm doing wrong. I think I'll take Pat's advice and put the 2 pairs together in the same tank again.
    Before you do that Liz you might consider this. Allow the tank to get a bit dirty. I recall Paul B. mentoring this approach with discus. Maybe could work with rams too. You could also ask the guy you bought the rams from also. You could also position the tanks so the fish can see each other without actually sharing a tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Just to annoy you LOL, this is what happens when I feed heaps of frozen BS and then raise the temp to 31 Celsius, rams busy tonight.

EDIT - I took the s out of the HTTPS??
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-06-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed the vid.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You have to paste the link into the pop up from the video link icon, and then remove the S mate. It's the film strip icon seen here
    Screenshot_20190906-090523~2.jpg
    Last edited by danotaylor; 09-06-2019 at 09:11 AM.

You did not annoy me. You helped! I thought their mouths were too big for BBS. Not so! I just dumped some in (I'm have them for a spawn of Angelfish that went free swimming the other day) I just dumped some in to the Rams and they attacked them with a vengeance.

Their breeder keeps that at 82 (28 C I think). I'll raise it up to 31 which is almost 89 and see what happens. Thanks a lot!

How often do you feed and how often do you change water and how much? Their breeder changes water just once a week so that's what I've been doing. Changing more is no problem because my fish room is set up for breeding and growing out Discus.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Send me a link to his page if you don't mind. You've got me interested now.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...QK0UvMA/videos

Tom doesn't have a website that I'm aware of. He just sells on Aquabid. I've had good dealings with him.

Mine are in a community / discus tank with juvi's, so I'm changing plenty of water. Its a 800L system and I change about 400l per day via continuous flow. I feed up to 6 times a day when I am home, mostly Frozen BS and blood worms, Australian dried blood worms and a little bit of dry pellets too. I am yet to give them any live feeds. I am generous with the feed, everything well and truly stuffs themselves.

There are six rams in my tank, 2 boys and 4 girls. Once the eggs from the two females in the video get eaten (2 days), I'd be willing to bet that the males will spawn with the remaining 2 females, which also look loaded with eggs. History suggests that this will all happen again within a week or two. The catfish love it!
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

That is good info. Thanks very much.
    Mama Bear

Very welcome, and thank you for all of the good info that you have posted on this site.

Real Name
    Tom

The Dutch rams look great !
    Rich a buddy of mine and myself saw Tristan's listing some time ago ..I am still very interested in them for my fish room .
    Keep the 2 pair next to each other with the bottom half of their tanks blocked so they can't see each other down low [where they will nest and stress is no good ].
    Feed them one after the other and switch and see if they get jelly ?? I keep my rams side by side but block bottom so they can relax and cuddle when they want..
    Feeding is supposed to be a competitive activity so them seeing each other is a good thing and very entertaining...
    Hope they breed for you ..Ask for more tips if you want , I would love to see them breed for you Liz.

Thanks so much for the excellent advice, Tom. I still have them together in the same 29. I'll do some moving around today.
    Mama Bear

OMG! I have a spawn! I separated the pairs yesterday and sometime this afternoon they spawned!

I didn't see the deed being done, but I like to go down to the fish room and watch fish just for the heck of it. I checked on the rams first. In one, I could see the female but no male. He was in one of Barb's planters that has some anubias glued to it. I thought I saw eggs so I got my glasses and there were actually eggs.

I'm just leaving this batch in even though I know that these guys rarely raise their kids. I need to make a vinegar solution for the eels to grow in, just in case these little eggs hatch.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Nice ! Congrats !
    My first food for ram fry is BBS.
    I have heard several say their fry are too small but usually there is some other issue if they are not accepted happily ..
    One buddy of mine uses vinegar eels and starts adding small amounts before the eggs hatch and at wiggler stage .
    His theory is the parents eat eggs or wigglers since they sense the lack of appropriate food for their fry [I buy it ] ..Since thinking of that I make sure to keep up on my BBS even before the eggs hatch when parents are present..
    I hatch 3 batches a day so all my breeder adults[even discus and swordtails] get some and love them !

Thanks for that. I've read that some say the eels are necessary and others, like you, who start them on BBS. I have two cultures of BBS for the spawn of Angelfish that I don't care about. I also have San Francisco Bay BBS cysts in the freezer. I will start hatching them in a third hatchery. I knew the time would would come when it was necessary to have 3 hatcheries going.

I know that the eggs will likely be eaten, but I will keep acting like it's the normal thing for these fish to raise their own kids. There's nothing more delightful that watching parents care for a spawn. It comes from my history with Discus.
    Mama Bear

I also saw a video by a guy named Dean. He says that it's good to let the tank be kinda dirty because the fry can feed of the algae on the glass. I haven't done a wipe down on this tank since I saw that.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Dean rocks ..Seems pretty smart for a teacher if he is the same that Cory shows often ..
    My tanks are not always clean ,but my water is ..
    I haven't wiped the tank my discus breed in every 14 days in months ! I change water ...
    I run LED lights so allow due to scheduling for algae to grow pretty much more then most ..
    If the fry don't get stuck in it [like mosses and the like] then they love it !
    Lots of infusoria and stuff for fry to munch on when you nature set in .

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast