ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about trying German Rams

Default Re: Thinking about trying German Rams

Thanks Steve... I think I'll go that route when it's time.
    I prefer the breeder route myself.

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Thanks Steve... I think I'll go that route when it's time.
    I prefer the breeder route myself.
    Not yet. But I have a line on an excellent breeder.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

OK, great. Let me know if it doesn't work out. I might have some extra Blues I'd give you a good deal on.

Thanks, Steve.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

watching with interest Liz...GBR's are a stunning fish...I wish you well fish sista!

Real Name
    Steve

Hey Liz, I just wanted to add my $.02 worth of experience with breeding rams. I bred GBRs and EBRs for about 4 years. I started with strong breeding stock from Tom Mueller. Rams strains get weak very quickly from inbreeding. Toms' are constantly outcrossed to keep them strong. He usually has some for sale on Aquabid as Coralbandit. There are probably some other good home breeders on Aquabid selling rams, I just don't have any experience with them.

I always kept rams the same way I kept discus. Same temps, same water change schedule, same food. They grow fast from juvies and start pairing and breeding as early as 5-6 months. Rams are not hard to keep or to spawn. But they are not particularly good parents. I had probably a 20-22 pairs over that time and never had a single pair that would parent raise. I know it's possible, but I never had any luck with parent raisers. So if you're hoping for parent raising rams, you may have to be patient. I always raised the eggs artificially. It's pretty much the same process as raising angels artificially, but you have to feed the newborn fry micro worms or vinegar eels for the first 3-4 days because they're too small for bbs.

I'm also a big fan of Dean Tweedle in your You Tube video. He may be the top ram breeder in the U. S. currently. His fish room is one of the neatest and cleanest I've ever seen. He also has a line of Koi angels he has been breeding for years. Lots of people would like to get their hands on some of his angels too. Unfortunately, he doesn't sell online. At this time he only sells excess stock to local fish stores like Aquarium Coop.

I decided to bid on what the breeder calls Dutch Rams. I put a link to his auction in one of my first posts. He was kind enough to send me pics. The fish are very good. I might be able to pick them up for song. I can't afford Coralbandit.

If anyone here outbids me I will will kill them.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If anyone here outbids me I will will kill them.
    All yours

Real Name
    Daniel

I was looking at those "Dutch Rams" on Aquabid a few nights ago Liz...they look amazing...I was thinking about buying some but have decided to keep my 8 discus alone in a 75gal once my QT'ing is done next week...good luck with your bid! Keep us posted plz

The guy sent me a pic of one of the group he was selling. It was a stunning beautifully colored female with a high spike on her dorsal and long ventrals. But I got nervous about spending money on fish, so I made my bid but didn't let myself watch the end of the auction so I lost them. I was afraid that I'd get carried away and bid too much. I did that once but the fish turned out to be worth it. This time I wan't ready to gamble.

I looked at the guys website. He has them for sale for 11 bucks each plus shipping. I really like these particular fish. Do you think they're worth $11 each?

I am so silly. I really have the itch for these fish, but I'm so reluctant to try breeding something that I've never bred before. Angels and Discus are easy. I know so little about breeding other fish, and I'm so afraid I will fail.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

I personally think they're worth $11 each Liz, especially if you get the quality shown in aquabid. I think you'll enjoy the challenge of breeding them too and sure you will be successful!

Actually, I looked back at his site and the Dutch are actually $12. each. Oh well, once I have the passion for something it's like having an itch that I'm not allowed to scratch. It nags me to death until I scratch it. At any rate, the die is cast. I'll be receiving my Rams Thursday afternoon. Their tank is ready and waiting for them.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Actually, I looked back at his site and the Dutch are actually $12. each. Oh well, once I have the passion for something it's like having an itch that I'm not allowed to scratch. It nags me to death until I scratch it. At any rate, the die is cast. I'll be receiving my Rams Thursday afternoon. Their tank is ready and waiting for them.
    Nice Liz, looking forward to the pics
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Good for you Liz. Can't wait to see them in your care!

I've got a tank all ready to go for them with plants on drift wood and floating, hiding places, and a spawning surface. The breeder asked me what size tank I was going to put them in. I'm only getting 2 probable pairs so I figured a 29 but I gave him the sizes of all the tanks I had available. He said that they were much feistier than German Blues and he suggested I use a 60 wide. I'm excited.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast