ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest stupid mistake

Default My latest stupid mistake

I took a bunch of Angels to the LPS Saturday. I had suggested when we had spoken on the forum that since the pair of Discus I took to them a month or so ago kept not selling, that I bring them home for a while. They agreed.

I bought 3 mil bags to bag them with but didn't think to bring my big soft net with me. I figured I could catch them in my hand and jump them in the bag. I got the female bagged. When I had grabbed the male and went to dump him in his bag he flipped around and landed on the floor with a loud slap. I said, "Don't worry. He'll be fine. He's a big tough fish." But I knew he had taken a lick.

When I dropped them in the tank I had waiting for them at home, he seemed a little disoriented but OK. When I checked on him a while later he was head standing. I lowered the water level to just over his dorsal and added salt. This morning when I saw him still head standing I moved his wife to my tank with my other big Discus. Afterwards, I walked back to his tank and looked at him. He saw me and swam normally to the front of the tank.

So...I do believe that he will recover. I sure hope so. He's not a show quality fish but he's a very good fish. Oh well, what can I say? Stuff happens...
    Mama Bear

Default Re: My latest stupid mistake

You're tougher than I am, Liz. I gave up trying to catch fish by hand after getting jabbed a few too many times by spines.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hope he recovers also Liz It sounds like he will be ok.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I hope so, too.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

Yow, sure hope he fully recovers

He's still mostly on his head. He can get in the correct position and can swim about for a bit, but mostly he rests on his head. It's depressing but I'm not ready to give up on him. Some things take time.

I have slapped big fish on the concrete floor to euthanize them in the past. Doing it that way is the fastest and most humane way. It's hard to get yourself ready to do the deed. I hope it isn't necessary this time. He's not a show fish, but he sure is a good fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Pat

Fingers crossed this ends well Liz!
    Pat

This wonderful and unexpected news, everyone! Things like this always happen to me when I'm on the verge of giving up. Tomorrow would have been a week that this poor lovely fish has been standing on his head. He was on his head last night, this morning and around noon today. I just went down to do water change. His tank is the first in line. I looked at it not wanting to see what I knew I would see, but what I did see was the fish in it's normal position.

I am so excited that I had to let y'all know before I started WC. I'm almost afraid to go down and look at his tank again. Today I will fill the tank 1/2 full, tomorrow if he's doing fine 3/4 full, and if all is well, completely. I am astounded and overjoyed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

Still keeping fingers crossed over here! But if it’s made it this far it’s definitely got a good chance especially with your care.

Real Name
    Pat

I am hopeful for the best Liz but I know you will do the right thing at the right time!
    Pat

Update time...He kept swimming normally for a day after I increased the water level then went back to standing on his head. Last night I gave him a 90% WC and refilled the water to just over his dorsal again. I put a good 5 tablespoons of salt in about 15 gallons of water. This morning he was swimming normally sometimes. It must be difficult for him because he's normal for a while then resting on his head for a while. I guess I got too excited and went to fast. I was ready to give up again last night...It's been over a week now. But this morning I am cautiously optimistic.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

Any news on the patient?

Mostly on his head sometimes swimming normally. I don't know at what point I should give up on him.
    Mama Bear

It took me several days for me to get up the nerve to tell you about what I did. Over time the fish was slowly getting worse rather than better. I netted him out and slap him on the concrete. I hate looking at that empty tank but I hated it worse when he was alive.

I was confident that the fish would recover and this would be a happy story. It turned out to be just the opposite. I made a stupid mistake and I'm suffering for it. Oh well...It's better that making a stupid mistake and killing one of my dogs.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I hope so, too.
    Perhaps the fish got a concussion when he landed. One of my discus did that on her own. In the process of scooping her from the floor I worried about damage to her slime coat. Two weeks later I do believe I am seeing the result of slime coat damage. Now I am doing increase water change and salt to see if that will improve the condition. In the meantime the fish lays on the surface under the filter flow most of the time but still eats normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast