AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A recipe I want to try

Default A recipe I want to try

Chef Paul, and anyone else please tell me what you think about this recipe. In the pic it looks just like the tacos de carnitas I had when I lived in Cuernavaca. AND I can freeze what I don't use right away, take some out of the freezer and crisp enough up to make 3 tacos, which with a side of guacamole salad is all I can eat at one sitting.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...5e5ff913835ce&
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: A recipe I want to try

Makes me pretty hungry! I had never had carnitas until the past year or so, mainly because I do all my own cooking. One of my customers took me to a really nice Mexican restaurant and based upon his recommendation, that' what I ordered. I've since made them myself at home. I usually take several recipes and combine them in the slow cooker. However, I've found it's best to not overly complicate things. This one sounds pretty uncomplicated.

Have you cooked much with tomatillos? I use them in my salsa. This year I found them growing in my garden and I have no idea where they came from...

Let us know how it goes and I may add it to my list of recipes...

Heck, add it. It was posted on the internet by Kenji Lopez. It's not mine. I have never cooked with tomatillos either. Like you, I just use them for salsa verde.
    Mama Bear

Sounds very tasty Liz, and quite easy/uncomplicated - I'll have to give it a try.

I love pulled pork, AND any & all Mexican foods as well, so I don't need any more incentive than that !

Love the idea of the orange flavor addition to pulled pork - I bet it's good.

It is good, Chef. Nothing can compare to to what I was served at one special place in Mexico, but they way better than what I have been served at any Mexican restaurant here in the States...Even at the real Mexican Tienda where they make killer tacos al pastor. They were so good that I have had them 3 days in a row and I'm going to have them again this evening.
    Mama Bear

My mouth is watering for Mexican food !

Can't wait to head south again - Linda & I are booked in Puerto Vallarta during October, and then again in Los Cabos next spring - I'm quite certain I'll have 1 or more new Mexican dish recipes when we get back.

You lucky dog, you. Alas, my traveling days are over. Even if I could afford it, my life revolves around my animals.

The chef who came up with the carnitas recipe also has one for tacos al pastor that involves more work but I want to try when I get back in the mood. The guy's name is Kenji Lopez Alt. He is very good. I've tried lots of his recipes from many different countries and everything I've made has been good. What do you think about this? https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ail%20campaign
    Mama Bear

Recipe sounds fabulous, Liz - Right up my alley - with anchos, guajillos, and chipotle in adobe !

That's my kind of food & sounds like a very tasty approach to using thinly-sliced pork in tacos - I've gotta try this !

I'll look up more of Kenji's recipes !