AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp problem with continual water exchange.

Default Temp problem with continual water exchange.

I've just started flowing water through my tank (no fish yet) via a continuous water exchange system, very little flow at the moment. I'ts become apparent that I'm going to need about 1200w of heaters in my tank if I continue down this path and I don't want to pay to run them.

I'm thinking about trying to mix water from my home water heater with the cold tap water to get a more suitable temp. I don't know how to pull it off and I have a few concerns.

Is there a problem using water from the hot water system (copper etc)? I'll be passing through activated carbon before it enters the tank.

How can I link the hot water + cold water infront of my carbon filter and get even'ish temps. I would like it if the temp was kind of set and I can alter the flow to the tank via another valve. If this makes sense.

If anyone else has played with this or has experience using water from the household heater I'd appreciate your experience and advice.

Thanks all.

Default Re: Temp problem with continual water exchange.

Someone smarter than I will have to answer this for you but there is an answer. It's called a temperature mixing valve. I have no idea how to plum it in but I have seen it done here by others. Just stick around for a while. A smart person will come along and save the day.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

there is mixing valves available that have to be hard piped to your hot and cold water lines .
    you can set the temperature , before you buy it make sure you can set them to the water temperature you are looking for .
    some might not go low enough !
    i just checked on amazon , they have them for $46.- but like i said make sure you buy one that will go lower than 30 degrees .
    sorry i do not know how to send a link .

Are you aging your water or continuous drip from the tap?
    What is the approximate flow rate into the system?
    What happens with the waste water?

There is a concern of copper leaching into the system from a home hot water heater as leaching increases with water temperature.
    A carbon block may reduce it slightly but it is not the accepted method for reducing heavy metals.

Real Name
    Brian

I've been rolling things like this through my mind for quite some time. Two options I've considered is a smaller tankless electric water heater that is dedicated to the water change process, and the other is a solar. The solar would be a more viable option for continuous flow as far as energy usage is concerned. It's just in the idea stage, the logistic are up to you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/misol-Solar...IAAOxyUylTPQ~E

You could also consider using a smaller dedicated water heater with a tank.

Either could be run with plastic piping, although I've never been too worried about using copper. I've run 3/4" copper for supply in large fish rooms in the past (connecting to PVC) and had no issues...
    Last edited by jeep; 07-16-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I'm surprised the Cairns cold water isn't hot enough for discus!

Like Brian I don't think you need to worry about copper exposure. You will have a relatively short dwell time in copper pipe due to also using the hot water system in the rest of your house and presumably only a small portion of the total WC water will be coming from your hot water system. Plumbing a sump with copper pipe would probably be a bad idea. If you are really worried you could buy some animals that are extremely sensitive to copper like snails or RCS and they can be your copper based canary in a coal mine. If they are fine then your discus will also be OK.

One thought: You are heating water either in your hot water system or your fish tank so those 1200w are coming from somewhere. If you have solar hot water that's a different story but you be paying to add that heat in either case.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    One thought: You are heating water either in your hot water system or your fish tank so those 1200w are coming from somewhere. If you have solar hot water that's a different story but you be paying to add that heat in either case.
    Exactly why I've been toying with the solar option. These can be easily DIY and not that expensive. Even after buying a circulation pump, controller and mixing valve, I'd think it could pay for itself in a relatively short time, as long as you don't mind the appearance...

Real Name
    Mark

My setup is not a constant drip, but I went with a tankless gas heater that takes a 55 gal drum from basement temp to 85 F in less than 15 mins. That just covers water changes, tank temp still takes a flock of heaters to offset my A/C even with an insulated sump. I’m running a pair of 250W and a pair of 300W heaters on a controller.

Thanks guys, for the mixing valve info. I know a plumber or two, I'll have a chat.

Nope, the water is not aged. It's going from the tap, through carbon filters and straight into MBBR in my sump. The flow will be varied as I see fit, though I'm thinking I'll have to exchange at least 2000 litres per week, probably more. The overflow goes out of my sump and into the garden.

I get that heating costs water, no matter what is heating it. My hot water system is solar so it should reduce the bill quite a bit.

My tap water will heat up soon enough, Cairns is tropical and Summer is coming. Right now its about 15 degrees C.

Thanks all, gotta go now. I'll drop back later.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

With solar hot water you should be golden!

I miss when the depths of winter meant minimums were still well above freezing. I took my dog for a walk when it was -31C (-46C with windchill) this winter...

That's pretty cold in my book James. I'm like a discus, If it gets to 20 C I feel like death is near.

Registered Member

I am dealing with the same issue so I am going to have the 1/4" line come into a sump compartment that has the heater. Hopefully the flow is low enough that the heaters can keep the temp up.

I'm beginning to think that this lazy style water change system is more hassle than its worth.

I've found another problem too. I picked up some chlorine test taps (DPD1) and found that I could only dribble water through the 3 x 5 micron carbon filters that I had, any descent flow would show chlorine. I was a bit optimistic about the cheap cartridges that I purchased.

Anyways $300 AUD later I've come home with another 3 stage filter as well as 2 x 0.2 micron carbon blocks 1x 0.5 micron carbon block and 1x 2 micron carbon block. So I've gone massive overkill (I hope) and now have a six stage carbon filter.

The filtration is as follows (once I install the second unit) Tap water > 5 micron carbon > 5 micron carbon > 2 micron carbon > 0.5 micron carbon > 0.2 micron carbon > 0.2 micron carbon > Aquarium. If that doesn't shake the Chlorine at descent flow rates I'll pull my hair out.

Re heat, If we were tricky and had the kit we could probably scavenge heat from the waste water. Eg - Have waste water flowing into a insulated 200l barrel. Fill the barrel with 100 meters of 4mm tube, which the incoming aquarium water flows through. Hill billy heat exchanger

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

With that sort of expense you could get a dosing pump with prime/safe that can trickle in with your incoming water. Piece of mind at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast