ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Mixing wild heckels with wild blues/reds/browns

Registered Member

Default Mixing wild heckels with wild blues/reds/browns

Hey everyone, I may very well be able to get my hands on some very nice wild heckels really soon, and I was wondering what your opinion would be on mixing them with my wild blue/red/brown (call them whatever you like) discus. Apart from different pH and kH requirements ( I keep my current guys at a moderately ''low'' pH , so the heckels should be able to adjust quite easily) , I don't see any real reason why they wouldn't be compatible. I'd greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and ideas

Registered Member

Default Re: Mixing wild heckels with wild blues/reds/browns

Technically any discus should pair with another, whatever. My up coming plan is to match Alenquer Red and Stripe with Red Heckel to see what other wild cross combination might develop.

Registered Member

That's pretty much what I feel as well, there shouldn't be any apparent reason why the wouldn't go well together. Alenquer x Heckel, now that's something I'd love to see, do keep us updated in case you manage to do it!

Registered Member

My plan is to cross the Red Heckel with the Alenquer. I have ordered the Reds from Kenny which I want to pair with a Stripe Alenquer that I now have.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Sword View Post
    Hey everyone, I may very well be able to get my hands on some very nice wild heckels really soon, and I was wondering what your opinion would be on mixing them with my wild blue/red/brown (call them whatever you like) discus. Apart from different pH and kH requirements ( I keep my current guys at a moderately ''low'' pH , so the heckels should be able to adjust quite easily) , I don't see any real reason why they wouldn't be compatible. I'd greatly appreciate everyone's feedback and ideas
    I have my wild heckels mixed with a couple wild blues. I even have a wild heckel cross so they mix in the wild also.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I have my wild heckels mixed with a couple wild blues. I even have a wild heckel cross so they mix in the wild also.
    Pat
    Pat, I plan to pair wild cross with wild cross then repeat breeding offspring to see if I can breed out whatever the cross is/was. I began with breeding wild some years ago but I sense that the domestic wild crosses are stronger fish than their pure wild cousins. Have you tried this?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    Pat, I plan to pair wild cross with wild cross then repeat breeding offspring to see if I can breed out whatever the cross is/was. I began with breeding wild some years ago but I sense that the domestic wild crosses are stronger fish than their pure wild cousins. Have you tried this?
    Hi Peewee, seems like a lot of trouble to go too. Why not breed some wilds and raise some F1 wilds? Or breed cross to wild for a quicker result?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening