ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused, and Nervous about Tank Water - Help me be successful

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: Confused, and Nervous about Tank Water - Help me be successful

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I just want to emphasize the point about mixing your RO with pre-watersoftener water. Water softeners trade usual hard water minerals for other ions, like sodium, that are less "hard" on your laundry, etc, but not necessarily better for your fish. Maybe worse. This is just what I've read here. Find an outside faucet or put a side valve on your line before the softener. That might be what you want to run into your RO filters too, but others should chime in on that.
    RO works best with sodium so you get longest life and most efficiency when plumbing the RO system after your water softener. In my basement I tee'd off the water softener outlet to my RO system (that was a sleepless night) and also tee'd off an outdoor spigot for my non-softened water to mix with my RO.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    RO works best with sodium so you get longest life and most efficiency when plumbing the RO system after your water softener. In my basement I tee'd off the water softener outlet to my RO system (that was a sleepless night) and also tee'd off an outdoor spigot for my non-softened water to mix with my RO.
    Thanks James! I was working off your previous post to use pre-softener water for mixing. Thanks for fixing this detail.
    Steve

Registered Member

Everyone is so helpful. I started my build tonight on the R.O. system. Pre-softener for the mix and post softener for the RO membrane.

Hopefully I can get the mix dialled in

Registered Member

Hey Everyone,
    Just wanted to update with some testing I've done.

The new tank comes in this week, but I have my RO mixing station built and running and figured I'd try to get the mixes right.
    Here is what I have found

100% RO Water:
    PH - 6.2
    TDS - 6
    GH/KH - 0 (or 1, not sure really how to measure it. The first drop stayed the original colour)

75% RO Water - 25% Unsoftened Tap:
    PH - 7.12
    TDS - 134
    GH/KH - 5

66.6% RO Water - 33.3% Unsoftened Tap:
    PH - 7.3
    TDS - 164
    GH/KH - 6

50% RO Water - 50% Unsoftened Tap:
    PH - 7.4
    TDS - 260
    GH/KH - 8/7

Based on these numbers I'm thinking the 2/3:1/3 might be the best fit for me. My mixing station has a sight glass up the side of the barrel so I can make a mark wherever I need it to be and be pretty consistent.

Thoughts or Advice? I think I'm on the right track.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Looks good and the numbers are consistent based off your 1:1 mix the 3:1 should be 130 TDS, 2:1 should be 173 and your straight tap 520 so you did a good job measuring!

Any of those ratios would be fine. As you said I'd go with 2:1 mix and your pH might settle slightly in the tank with biological activity but great consistent water and healthy stock are the best place to start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12