ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What's up with this?

Default What's up with this?

I have 9 adult or sub adult Discus in a 90. One is a proven female 2 or proven males. All the others should be breeding age, but I have seen no action whatsoever. I'm thinking about splitting them into two groups and putting each group in a 100 gallon. Their 90 should be big enough, but perhaps they need more elbow room to feel comfortable pairing up. What do y'all think?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: What's up with this?

Perhaps the reverse. Smaller rather than larger. I do recall back in the day whey I breed wilds I have no tank larger than 20 gallons. Why take one female and one male and pair them and see what they do?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Liz I had 7 x 6"+ discus housed together. I had a proven pair develop that were faithful to eachother, and another proven female spawn with each of the other 4 at different times and produced wigglers with 3 of them...it turns out that I have 4 males and 1 only female (apart from the other proven pair)...perhaps you just have a male heavy group and female that doesn't want to spread her love around like mine does...

With my luck they will be all males. I've been hoping otherwise for a good while now.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

Most of my adults shows no sign of pairing up too, some are about three years old.
    They seems happy eating everyday non stop.

Whenever I fancy a particular fish, I'll transfer them to another tank by themselves. Within a week, they'll start laying eggs (latest by 15 days)...
    But there are also cases where only one fish (mostly females) is laying eggs and the male is only interested in food.

I'm not sure about Discus, but many species, if really happy will delay spawning in favour of somatic growth. Perhaps times are so good right now that there is no need to pass on their genes just yet, better to grow more first. Just a theory, probably a bung one.

I don't know what's up with them but I'm going to do as I planned and see how it goes. Whether it works or not, it will make me feel better to see fish in that 100 gallon tank. Having so many empty tanks is a little spooky.
    Mama Bear

Liz, I have something similar to your situation I have 6 adults all I believe to be breeding age and nothing 3 are females for sure and at least 2 of my bigger ones are males. The 2 big males use to always fight in some way or form but now just swim together but no activity either way. I have separated them to a M/F to see what happens but the female wants to do the hanky-panky but my male says no way. I'm fed up with the whole thing also, makes me feel like putting them up for sale and starting over, I'm at a loss. So if you can come up with something that might work let me in on it. I've also tried giving cooler water changes and still nothing , but good luck Liz I'll be watching...……………………...Jim in Ohio

I think that all we can do is wait. It will happen eventually. They're just not in the mood now.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Hey, Liz, my proven pair stopped laying eggs too since I put them in the main tank with all other discus. It's been 6 months and I have not seen any action from anyone. I see some doing a dance here and there but never pair up. I noticed the same behavior from the same pair last year while in their 20g. They went through a dormant period where they really didn't hang out much.

Thanks, Mando. I've heard that Discus can go through a period when they're just not interested in hanky panky but I've never experienced it before. I'll hang in there until I get disgusted with them. These are good fish. It's frustrating.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz,
    Nine is a difficult number for pairing Discus. Try six
    Discus.

Cliff

I split them up a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for some action...
    Mama Bear