ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help me buy some discus

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: help me buy some discus

It depends on if you like the wild look or the colorful look. If you go with Stendkers, their Santarums are really nice and basic in appearance. If you want color, look into Asians...

I agree the Santarums do look great. I also like the reds they produce. I can’t decide between them 😊

Real Name
    Brian

The Santarums I had were fantastic parents. Even if they didn't have a current batch of fry, they would foster any fry I placed with them from other parents who habitually ate theirs.

That’s interesting, were yours Stendkers?

I’m torn between the Santarums, solid fire reds and Marlboro reds at the moment.

Real Name
    Brian

Yes they were Stendkers. And remember, if you want your discus to pair off, I would not let a PB pair off with a non-PB.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Yes they were Stendkers. And remember, if you want your discus to pair off, I would not let a PB pair off with a non-PB.

Yeah I only plan on getting one strain so won’t be cross breeding at all

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Haha, every strain is already a cross breed. When you raise fry from a pair of domestic/ non-wild discus you won't just get fry like the parents. You will get throw backs from a lot of the strains involved in developing the strain you breed. Our site owner Al has a pair of fine line snake skin. They produced Turk's, blue snakes, red snakes, and a few other Turk types. With domestics everything is a cross to he sure, haha.

Registered Member

It sounds like you can pick up your fish. But if you are looking for wild cross Kenny has some very rare wild crosses this month. I bought a assortment but he did not get very many so he might be sold out. Then there is the shipping from West Coast to you. The ones sent to me were all beautiful fish. Good color and proportion. I got them Wednesday and by Friday they were all over he tank looking for food and eating from my fingers.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Peewee the OP said in his original post that helives in the UK

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Peewee the OP said in his original post that helives in the UK
    Yes, I picked up on that, Dano. Which was why I mentioned the West Coast. About 10 to 12 hours for just one flight then truck time at both ends. Would the discus suffer from jet lag?

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Haha, every strain is already a cross breed. When you raise fry from a pair of domestic/ non-wild discus you won't just get fry like the parents. You will get throw backs from a lot of the strains involved in developing the strain you breed. Our site owner Al has a pair of fine line snake skin. They produced Turk's, blue snakes, red snakes, and a few other Turk types. With domestics everything is a cross to he sure, haha.

Yeah I understand that 👍

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    It sounds like you can pick up your fish. But if you are looking for wild cross Kenny has some very rare wild crosses this month. I bought a assortment but he did not get very many so he might be sold out. Then there is the shipping from West Coast to you. The ones sent to me were all beautiful fish. Good color and proportion. I got them Wednesday and by Friday they were all over he tank looking for food and eating from my fingers.

I could be interested in this but I imagine it would be too costly.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherfishkeeper View Post
    I could be interested in this but I imagine it would be too costly.
    It may well be expensive but Kenny offers discount shipping. An email would solve it for you. If you do not know the seller who might sell you sick fish the mortality rate may offset the shipping cost of healthy fish?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    It may well be expensive but Kenny offers discount shipping. An email would solve it for you. If you do not know the seller who might sell you sick fish the mortality rate may offset the shipping cost of healthy fish?
    I’ll for sure speak to him. I’m knew to the forum and don’t know kenny or his email address. Could you please pm me the details?

Can we post links on here? If so I can show the places I’m thinking of getting my fish...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast