AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

I always thought this as well, but when helping someone else a few weeks ago I looked into this and API stated that Furan 2 does not hurt the bio. While re-reading just now, they say it will, lol...

Sorry for the confusion.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I always thought this as well, but when helping someone else a few weeks ago I looked into this and API stated that Furan 2 does not hurt the bio. While re-reading just now, they say it will, lol...

Sorry for the confusion.
    No problem I've been searching the net the last 5 days and I saw both as well so I was confused.

Finally some good news today. The salt has been working. It wasnt enough when I was using 1 tbsp per 10 gallons but after u guys recommended 5 cups for the 75 gallons and temps up to 88 I'm starting to see a difference. I'll continue with salt and heat with aged water changes for the next few days. Furan 2 will be here tomorrow so I'll have that on hand just in case anything happens.

2 of the discus still arent eatting tho

Real Name
    Brian

Get rid of the external issue first and they might start eating. If not, then crank up the heat after giving them a few days rest.

Registered Member

Get rid of the external issue first and they might start eating. If not, then crank up the heat after giving them a few days rest.

Thanks... sounds good we'll see how they do this next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandnukka15 View Post
    No problem I've been searching the net the last 5 days and I saw both as well so I was confused.

Finally some good news today. The salt has been working. It wasnt enough when I was using 1 tbsp per 10 gallons but after u guys recommended 5 cups for the 75 gallons and temps up to 88 I'm starting to see a difference. I'll continue with salt and heat with aged water changes for the next few days. Furan 2 will be here tomorrow so I'll have that on hand just in case anything happens.

2 of the discus still arent eatting tho
    Furan 2 will affect your biofilter and it is stated on the box.
    I wouldn't use it in my main tank and would only use in a separate hospital tank.
    Having your biofilter crash will open you up to a whole mess of new problems... jmho.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    Furan 2 will affect your biofilter and it is stated on the box.
    I wouldn't use it in my main tank and would only use in a separate hospital tank.
    Having your biofilter crash will open you up to a whole mess of new problems... jmho.
    Well I'd like to treat all of the discus so I guess I'm screwed lol... this salt better work than haha

Registered Member

I'm still adding enough salt to equal 5 cups per 75 gallons.... I want to start decreasing this as I think its stressing them out by darkening them, making them hide and a couple not eatting... how much should I decrease the salt by daily to bring it down to 1 tbsp per 5 gallons.

Should I leave the temps at 88 as I drop the salt content for another 5 days or so?

Real Name
    Brian

I would do a 50% water change and leave the temp as is. This will reduce the salt by 50% and you should be fine with that. Leave the temp at 88 for a few more days.

Registered Member

I would do a 50% water change and leave the temp as is. This will reduce the salt by 50% and you should be fine with that. Leave the temp at 88 for a few more days.
    Awesome thanks... the salt looks like it's been working so I dont think I'm going to use the furan 2 right away. I'll be on vacation for 4 days and wont be able to tend the tank starting august 7th. Should I beef them up as much as possible... drop the temp to 82 the day before i leave with a big aged water change and let them be for the 4 days with no feedings? Or should i have someone feed them once or twice at least. Dont want to spoil the water

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I left for Australia for 18 days and had 1 sparing feed every 3 days. I wouldn't worry about feeding them. Mine regained their condition quickly once I return to my normal regime.

Real Name
    Brian

Do exactly what you wrote and as long as they are looking good you should be fine. Someone to feed them won't hurt either but for only 4 days I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I would not feed them the day before you leave.

Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Registered Member

Do exactly what you wrote and as long as they are looking good you should be fine. Someone to feed them won't hurt either but for only 4 days I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I would not feed them the day before you leave.
    Everything seems to be going ok except one of the green diamond discus still isnt eating

Real Name
    Brian

Nice!! Don't rush it, but in a day or so you may turn the heat up to around 88-89 and see if this sparks in interest in food.

Registered Member

Nice!! Don't rush it, but in a day or so you may turn the heat up to around 88-89 and see if this sparks in interest in food.
    Temp has been at 88-89 for the past week

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234