ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

Registered Member

Default Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

Cant tell if salt and clean water will clear this up .... if its fungal/bacterial?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

This started 2 days ago. I got my fish about a week ago. Maybe stress from establishing pecking order and aggression?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White circle on tail fin and pectoral fins beat up as well as a white patch on body

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Have been trying aquarium salt 1.5 tablespoons per 10 gallons

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 gallon BB 10 discus ranging from 3.5-4 ish inches

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    I was changing about 70% every other day bit since I have noticed this injury I've been doing 70% daily

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Cycled with ammonium chloride for a month waited for all perams to be in check and added discus with big water change to get rid of nitrates. Tank is in fact cycled

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I dont age water ph swing is about.3

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Prime I add before adding new tap water during wc

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84___

- ph ___7.4__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading ___5ish_

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Hikari frozen discus cubes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms.

Omega one color up flakes, veggie flakes rarely, mini color pellets

I feed 3 times a day as much as they can eat in 15 mins

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them

Just wanted to get this typed up will post pic as soon as I get home

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

Probably establishing a pecking order and haven't fully acclimated yet. That discus look a little stunted and clamped. Since they are fairly new, I would bump the temp to 88 and increase the salt to 5-6 TBS per 10g until they are settled. During the QT/acclimation period, I would treat with Prazi to eliminate any flukes or tapes.

I recently received a similar discus and after 5 days of heat it finally snapped out of it...

Let us know if there are any changes going on. If the white patch gets worse, we may lower the heat and increase the salt.

Brian

Thank you, Brian. I didn't have a clue what was going on. He is doing everything right. I agree that the Discus looks stunted.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Probably establishing a pecking order and haven't fully acclimated yet. That discus look a little stunted and clamped. Since they are fairly new, I would bump the temp to 88 and increase the salt to 5-6 TBS per 10g until they are settled. During the QT/acclimation period, I would treat with Prazi to eliminate any flukes or tapes.

I recently received a similar discus and after 5 days of heat it finally snapped out of it...

Let us know if there are any changes going on. If the white patch gets worse, we may lower the heat and increase the salt.

Brian
    I've heard higher temps can increase bacterial infections? Is this true? Especially with 88 degrees?... also with the higher temps should I keep the feeding schedule the same?.. I dont want to increase more food since I'm trying to keep water as clean as possible.

Also how long do you think the discus could handle the 5 tbsp of salt per 10 gallons?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thank you, Brian. I didn't have a clue what was going on. He is doing everything right. I agree that the Discus looks stunted.
    A few of them do but not all. I dont think they are that badly stunted. Hoping to get them back on track. I had recieved them like this from discus madness. I had ordered the discus assortment of 10 knowing they wouldn't be perfect due to the low cost. Wasnt in my budget to spend a lot. I know these fish are frustrating to keep. And for the reason of this post I knew I didnt want to spend much. I've kept and bred a lot of fragile fish but I'm already regretting getting these discus.

Registered Member

How can I do prazipro if I'm doing water changes daily?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I would not do prazipro at this time. It looks almost like a heater burn on the body...
    Do as Brian suggested with the salt and water changes. I dosed both my discus tanks with 1tbsp/1gal (5 cups for 75gal) for 3 days, did a 90% wc, then added back 2 cups salt for 3 days, then another 90% wc with 5 cups for 3 days then 90% wc 3 days in a row. My discus were cured of a serious unknown ailment using this treatment. I fed only once daily during the treatment to keep better water quality. All of my fish are now healthy and back on track.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I would not do prazipro at this time. It looks almost like a heater burn on the body...
    Do as Brian suggested with the salt and water changes. I dosed both my discus tanks with 1tbsp/1gal (5 cups for 75gal) for 3 days, did a 90% wc, then added back 2 cups salt for 3 days, then another 90% wc with 5 cups for 3 days then 90% wc 3 days in a row. My discus were cured of a serious unknown ailment using this treatment. I fed only once daily during the treatment to keep better water quality. All of my fish are now healthy and back on track.
    I know salt baths are used frequently but do the discus go thru any stress with salt that high of 5 cups per 75 gallons?

It does look like a heater burn but that's not possible since I have fluval E heaters with protective guards.

Registered Member

I started bumping the temps up. I'll add more salt tommorow after my wc

Real Name
    Brian

5 TBS salt sounds intimidating but it's actually very mild as you can tell by Danny's post. However, the amount he used was to target a specific issue and it's not recommended or necessary during the acclimation period, but the amount we are talking about does help them settle in and adapt and reduce any minor issues. I always raise the temp in new arrivals. If they are healthy it helps them acclimate. If they are sick, it will bring out the illness early on and make things easier to treat early. I would do this for a total of 10 days. As long as you do your water changes, you shouldn't have any heat related bacterial issues that don't already exist. If they do exist you will know it right away and we can adjust your acclimation process. If you use Prazipro, it's actually a diluted form of pure Prazi, Just redose after water changes for whatever time period they recommend. It should only have to be used for one treatment, or maybe again in a week or so. I prefer pure Prazi from Jehmco or another reputable supplier.

I think with salt and your water change routine your discus will be just fine!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sandnukka15 View Post
    A few of them do but not all. I dont think they are that badly stunted. Hoping to get them back on track. I had recieved them like this from discus madness. I had ordered the discus assortment of 10 knowing they wouldn't be perfect due to the low cost. Wasnt in my budget to spend a lot. I know these fish are frustrating to keep. And for the reason of this post I knew I didnt want to spend much. I've kept and bred a lot of fragile fish but I'm already regretting getting these discus.
    I know you now know, but always be leery of anyone selling an "assortment" or offering free shipping. An assortment usually means "leftovers" and "free shipping" means you paid too much in the first place!!!

Real Name
    Brian

Sorry, and yes, feed them as much as they will eat, 5 or 6 times per day. Increased heat = increased metabolism, and with stunted discus this young, it's possible to turn them around and into decent fish, especially with the care you are providing!

I recommend these things because at this point we are doing an acclimation period rather than a sickness. If they do crash then we can proceed with a different approach...
    Last edited by jeep; 07-27-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Registered Member

Thank you... I'll do the recommended amount of aquarium salt at 88 degrees for 10 days with daily 70% wc and 5 times a day feeding.

Real Name
    Brian

Forgot to say, replace the salt being removed during water changes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast