ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus with white circle on tail and on body... help please

When using Furan 2, follow the instructions on the box and redose after a water change. The discus is stressed and the white feces can be hex, which is opportunistic when a fish is stressed.

General Cure won't really help with the external issue.

Have you aged your water or reduced the percentage? If these things along with salt don't work then I would use the Furan 2.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    When using Furan 2, follow the instructions on the box and redose after a water change. The discus is stressed and the white feces can be hex, which is opportunistic when a fish is stressed.

General Cure won't really help with the external issue.

Have you aged your water or reduced the percentage? If these things along with salt don't work then I would use the Furan 2.
    I'm going to get a brute 55 gallon trash can to age the water in and start doing aged water changes tommorow. I also ordered furan 2 which will be here tuesday.

Would it hurt to use furan 2 if there is still salt in the aquarium? Also does furan 2 effect the biofilter?

Real Name
    Brian

Excellent idea on the Brute! During the summer, my water ages without the aid of a heater or air stone. During the winter when the water is colder, I use both.

I'm not sure where you live, but most LFS carry Furan 2, although it's much more expensive than online. Also, you can use the salt and they say it won't hurt your bio.

Registered Member

Excellent idea on the Brute! During the summer, my water ages without the aid of a heater or air stone. During the winter when the water is colder, I use both.

I'm not sure where you live, but most LFS carry Furan 2, although it's much more expensive than online. Also, you can use the salt and they say it won't hurt your bio.
    Thanks. Wouldnt be able to get rid of all the salt in the tank without multiple water changes. I ordered 3 boxes on prime and should be here tuesday. It will give me 2 days to slowly adjust the temp from 88 back down to 82.

The circle on the back fin has dissapeared with salt but the main 2 white circles on his body look like they are turning red in the center

Registered Member

Also 2 of the discus continue not to eat. The guy in the pics with the 2 white spots still has a full appetite tho

Real Name
    Brian

I wish there was more to say, but I think you were unfortunate to receive sick fish from a bad supplier. Have you called Discus Madness about this? They may have some additional ideas... I seller who cares about their reputation will also be there after the sale. I'm seeing very mixed reviews about them...

Registered Member

I wish there was more to say, but I think you were unfortunate to receive sick fish from a bad supplier. Have you called Discus Madness about this? They may have some additional ideas... I seller who cares about their reputation will also be there after the sale. I'm seeing very mixed reviews about them...
    I'll try calling them tommorow but I'm afraid they wont be much of help. When I first got the fish close to 2 weeks ago there were no signs of any illness until a few days ago. They might deny all of it and be of no help

Real Name
    Brian

I wouldn't approach them as challenging them, just call and ask for advise. This will make it easier to communicate with them and they may actually agree with our discussion here.

To be honest, this could be something as simple as aging your water or other subtle changes. I'm just a little stumped and it's easy to make an assumption when viewing a photo of a fish that is obviously a little stunted. I've never had to deal with issues like this so I can only make recommendations based on what I've seen others do and hope my memory serves me well.

Registered Member

I wouldn't approach them as challenging them, just call and ask for advise. This will make it easier to communicate with them and they may actually agree with our discussion here.

To be honest, this could be something as simple as aging your water or other subtle changes. I'm just a little stumped and it's easy to make an assumption when viewing a photo of a fish that is obviously a little stunted. I've never had to deal with issues like this so I can only make recommendations based on what I've seen others do and hope my memory serves me well.
    I'll get ahold of them to see what happens. I cant see why not aging water could cause something like this. That doesnt make sense to me but I know aging can help

Real Name
    Brian

Dissolved gasses are always present in pressurized water systems whether ph changes or not. As these gasses expand and evaporate there are chemical reactions to the water and this can cause stress to discus. Adding stress to a less than perfectly healthy discus can cause their system to become more susceptible to things that would not not normally be an issue. For the most part, most people can do 25%-30% WC from tap with no side effects. More can be stressful. During the summer time, I can do 50% straight from tap - during winter only 25%...

Registered Member

Dissolved gasses are always present in pressurized water systems whether ph changes or not. As these gasses expand and evaporate there are chemical reactions to the water and this can cause stress to discus. Adding stress to a less than perfectly healthy discus can cause their system to become more susceptible to things that would not not normally be an issue. For the most part, most people can do 25%-30% WC from tap with no side effects. More can be stressful. During the summer time, I can do 50% straight from tap - during winter only 25%...
    So how long would I have to age the water?... is 24hrs sufficient since I do daily water changes?. Can the lid be on the brute trash can the whole time?

Real Name
    Brian

Yes and yes!!

Registered Member

Yes and yes!!
    Thanks just wanted to make sure bc it would be a pain to heat the brute can with the lid off. Hopefully everything clears up with the aged water and furan 2.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Furan will kill off gram positive and gram negative bacteria which means your biofilter will take a hit as well. You will have to be diligent with you water change schedule post treatment so you don't get ammonia & nitrite spikes

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Furan will kill off gram positive and gram negative bacteria which means your biofilter will take a hit as well. You will have to be diligent with you water change schedule post treatment so you don't get ammonia & nitrite spikes
    That's what I initially thought....I'll have to make sure the ammonia doesnt keep up after treatment and continue with large aged water changes.

My luck just keeps getting better lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast