ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Rockwool

Default Rockwool

I'm looking at my bare bottom tank, thinking it could use some plants and it would be nice if they were "potted" but more asthetic.

I use rockwool cubes for hydroponics (pic attached) they are a 75mm cube, are inert, and sink when saturated. I'm wondering If they would work OK in a bare bottom fish tank as a kind of pot. I'm thinking that I could chuck a slow release fert tab inside one, add a plant and replace the plastic wrap with something else, maybe string (kokedama style).

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rockwool

You can use clay pots from the hardware store too. I use the bottoms of plastic bottles because they're cheap.

Yep, there's lots of option for pots, plastic, clay, ceramic etc. I forgot to mention that this is a display tank and I'm seeking visual magnificence without gravel. I really don't like the look of pots in tanks, but a ball of brown string stashed behind rocks or wood might look OK. I want to wrap the rockwool to stop the fish from tearing off tiny shards which might irritate gills, stomach and stuff. In the past, long ago I've purchased crypts and other greenery that were potted in tiny plastic pots filled with rock wool, so maybe it's not much of a hazard to the fish?

I think I found the answer on a long dead forum.
    Moderator Emeritus

The reason that your plants often come in rockwool pots is that it is easier to grow, fertilize, and ship plants this way for the nursery. Since everything is contained in a nice little package they can just pull it out and send it on it's way. The drawbacks for the hobbiest is that their is often some high powered ferts in the rockwool which depending on what was used can mess with your water chemistry. This is especially true for plants that the nursery grows emersed. It's also harder to get the pots to blend in and form a nice aquascape. Like any other potted plant there can be issues with it becoming root bound if it is left this way long term. Your best bet really is to remove the plant and place it where you want it. With an Anubias you'll see the best growth if you attach it to either a rock or driftwood.
    Mama Bear

Thanks for that. So if you purchase a plant that's in rock wool, there's a chance its a bit of a nutrient bomb!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    Thanks for that. So if you purchase a plant that's in rock wool, there's a chance its a bit of a nutrient bomb!
    That was the surprise I got out of that, too.

Back to plants in your BB tanks. I'm using the bottom 3" of 3L(?) plastic soda bottles. Black gravel. Kind of blends in. I'm moving tanks right now, but I'll try to post a pic. Very basic.

Black gravel in clear pots, thats awesome! love it.

Real Name
    Steve

I actually bought black Fluorite for the gravel. Don't know if it matters, but I guess it has nutrients or is more porous.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I've done glass vases/pots with different color gravels. Try and find some dinosaur poo (aussie product) which root feeders (swords, crypts etc.) will love.