AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sump Plumbing Tips

Default Sump Plumbing Tips

Looking for some suggestions on plumbing up my new tank and sump. I have a 125gal tank and a 45gal sump and will be using the Herbie system. Just looking for some tips/best practices before I flood my house by making a mistake. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Sump Plumbing Tips

Re flooding - make sure there is no potential for water to siphon from your tank into the sump. The likely offenders are the drain, leading into the sump. Also if the the outlet of your return pump is in the tank, underwater, it will start siphoning if the pump turns off. The main thing is that after you set it up and have it flowing, turn the pump off and see what happens, be ready to turn it back on quickly if the sump looks like overflowing.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Every sump setup will experience backflow to an extent, I have holes drilled near the water line on my return piping that breaks the siphon from when I turn the pump off. The most critical factor is making sure that sump operates at a water level that can accommodate the backsiphon.

My 90 gal with 29 gal sump has about 3-4" of space so that when the pumps turn off the sump doesn't over flow.

This is how I set the water level of the sump:
    With the piping and everything setup I filled the tank with a hose going into the tank
    As the tank filled it started to flow under gravity into the sump
    I continued until the sump was full (this represents the power off water levels)
    Turn on the pumps and give it 5-10 minutes for the Herbie to stabilize
    Adjust so you aren't breaking siphon
    Mark this level in your sump (this represents the max fill power on water level of your sump)
    Test by turning off the pump, it shouldn't overflow but like cooper said watch it like a hawk
    Repeat the test 5-10 times if you are anything like me...

This product is a life saver.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1