AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Almost recoverd from near fatal leap

Registered Member

Default Almost recoverd from near fatal leap

About 2 weeks ago a semi large (6 inches fatso Blue Scorpion) jumped with enough weight and momentum to dislodge the hood and she landed onto the floor. Fortunate I was there to witness her failed attempt at becoming a flying fish. I feared that this and my rescue would damage the slime coat. Two weeks later a fungus formed on both sides of her body.

Several threads helped. Jeep had recommend a dosage of 7 tbl spoons of salt to 10 gallons to someone for similar treatment. I have read many posts where water changes are beneficial. I already had Metro in the tank to treat another fish for white poop (successful on that treatment).

For one week I increased water change to 30% per day and added the 7 tbl spoons of salt per 10 gallons with each change and doubled the amount of Prime that I had been adding with water changes. I had been changing with tap water but the last three days went to aged water with a ph of about 7.6.

Today my flying fish seems almost fully recovered. She had been dark, her fins clamped and she quit her daily sparing with another female, they are like Bettas in that regard. Neither gives ground to the other. Her color has gone from dark brown to dark blue with a few patches of fungus here and there. Her fins are erect again, I think this is a HB, and she is back to scrapping with her nemesis and a few of the new wilds that I got from Kenny last week. I am going to call this a success story and a thank you to various members of Simply Discus for your great hobby resource.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: Almost recoverd from near fatal leap

Glad to hear about this success story!

I wasn't so lucky, I had one jump this weekend while I was walking the dog. Unfortunately it jumped and landed next to the air conditioning vent and by the time I found the fish it was dry to the touch. Put back in water it started breathing again and seems to be coming around, the pectoral fins came undone but she passed away during the night. I assume too much damage was done, essentially the entire skin was burned/dried/damaged.

Registered Member

Too bad. Had it not been for the AC, which evaporates moisture, you might have come out okay. Had it not been for this forum, or the internet for that matter, the mortality rate of our pets would be much higher than it is. I put a brick on top of the hood to prevent future escape attempts. As I said, thanks to Simply Discus members, the internet, and Kenny, who is a wealth of knowledge and advice, I have managed to keep my fish alive and happy. .

Real Name
    Brian

I'm glad you could save her! Nice job!!

I didn't have than much luck with the fish I caught with my hands and just as he was about to go into the bag, flipped and went out of my hand to the floor. I could hear when he hit that he took a hard lick but I thought that he could take it and recover since he wasn't that far from the floor. I was wrong.

Contrats to you on your good luck.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I didn't have than much luck with the fish I caught with my hands and just as he was about to go into the bag, flipped and went out of my hand to the floor. I could hear when he hit that he took a hard lick but I thought that he could take it and recover since he wasn't that far from the floor. I was wrong.

Contrats to you on your good luck.
    You, Jeep, Dano and other contributed to me saving this fish. Your advices on water changes, meds, and salt serve a valuable purpose. You well know that back in the day before the inter-web all we had was Alexrod book and the LFS and a pack full of wild fish to work with.

Registered Member

I lost one of my juveniles yesterday - he jumped out of the tank and I wasn't around to get back to him quickly. So sad... How often does it happen and why do they jump?

Real Name
    Tanja

Quote Originally Posted by peka View Post
    I lost one of my juveniles yesterday - he jumped out of the tank and I wasn't around to get back to him quickly. So sad... How often does it happen and why do they jump?
    Bullying is the first thing that comes to my mind. Also being the victim of forcible mating. That happened with my bettas years ago.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by peka View Post
    My fish jumped because I startled it when I approached the tank. They will also jump because of poor water quality. My jumper was large enough to dislodge the lid cover. Now I have a brick placed on top of the cover.