AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Guianacara and Discus?

Real Name
    Ally

Default Guianacara and Discus?

Hi everyone!

Has anyone tried to keep Guianacara sp. with their Discus? Do you have any photos?

I absolutely love Guianacara and I am contemplating setting my tank up for them, however if they would be suitable tank mates for Discus (which I believe they should be, they are fairly "sweet" fish and come from similar environment) then I will be absolutely thrilled.

Default Re: Guianacara and Discus?

I would say no. They are boisterous, chunky fish and can get pretty aggressive when spawning. You would need a very large tank and then some way to ensure the discus were not getting chased or outcompeted for food.

I'm not familiar with them but from Ryan's exclamation the chunky and boisterous manner sounds like an estranged aunt and uncle of mine. I wouldn't do it dude. Trying to get image out of head
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Marc

If your looking schooling fish i have successfully kept bleeding heart tetras with my discus. they grow to around 3 to 4 inches and do better in a school of around 10 or more Lovely addition to any discus tank and the discus wont eat them as like neons

Real Name
    Ally

I have seen people mix them on youtube however I agree, they seem to be really rather active and bulldoggy.... Such a shame as I think they are very interesting fish... definitely needing a second tank!

Real Name
    Ally

I'm actually not a big fan of ditherfish, but I do like the bleeding hearts, used to keep a group in my community tank - great suggestion!

Registered Member

Biodotoma sp. would be a better choice, but they need soft, acid (pH 6 to 6,5 at least) and no bh mixes. They live in groups and are quite shy. But in correct aquarium they shimne like diamonds. Perfect dithers for wild discus/altums. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/66...761976214e.jpg

Real Name
    Ally

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Biodotoma sp. would be a better choice, but they need soft, acid (pH 6 to 6,5 at least) and no bh mixes. They live in groups and are quite shy. But in correct aquarium they shimne like diamonds. Perfect dithers for wild discus/altums. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/90/66...761976214e.jpg
    I have actually been looking at cupids as I make my decisions - I absolutely love guianacara, they make me laugh just with their silly faces, but I think having discus trumps having guianacara at the moment. I may very well add some cupids though as others have also said they are very quiet, and they are beautiful. I am hoping not to feed beefheart much to my discus, and my ph seems to sit at 6.4 so they are certainly an option - thank you!