ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Set Up Ideas Pigeon Type or Traditional Type?

Registered Member

Default New Set Up Ideas Pigeon Type or Traditional Type?

Not new to discus keeping at all but I have been tankless for about 2 years. I am planning on getting back into the aquarium addiction but am pretty unsure what to dedicate my future tank stock towards. I will be purchasing either a 90 gallon (7 discus) or a 4-foot 120 gallon (9 discus) with the eventual stocking # in (#s). I will most likely be buying 3 inch started from one vendor. Personally I like to keep things either more pigeon type or traditional type? Please provide any opinions not sure.. Last tank I had 6 Red Checkerboard and 3 Blue Diamond and it was very nice contrast. For simplicity sake I will just use the 7 discus option for ideas

A) 3 Blue Diamond 2 BT and 2 Cobalt
    B) 4 Red Pigeon 3 Silver Pigeon
    C) 4 Blue Diamond and 3 BT
    D) 7 of one Type

I will be doing a PFS bottom with some branches not much deco want the fish to be the main attraction. Please post pics to help me. I always love the Red Pigeon and my Kids love the BD but been there and done that combo looking for something else...

TY

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: New Set Up Ideas Pigeon Type or Traditional Type?

Well, that's really up to personal taste. PB's aren't my favorite but I like the solids.

I also like a variety, although a tank of nice wilds can be really nice...

like Brian said, it's up to what you like. I like non PBs myself, but if you decide to go with PB's consider getting some White Pigeons. To me, they are very eye catching.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Check out site sponsor Dennis @ www.dennisdiscusfish.com He imports from Malaysia & gets a nice variety of PB's and solids. There's pictures, sizing and pricing included on his website. He is in BG Ohio so just 25 minutes down the road and you can visit his fish room and pick out the fish you want.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 08-01-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    like Brian said, it's up to what you like. I like non PBs myself, but if you decide to go with PB's consider getting some White Pigeons. To me, they are very eye catching.
    This was my first discus. He wasn't perfect but I really liked him...

eesob3..JPG

That's a nice White Pigeon, Brian. It looks pink in that pic. Some of them do look pink. Others are very white with red spots on their bodies. It's a cool strain.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Like Liz and Brian it is really a personal choice. I would suggest looking thru some of Kenny's sales threads. He includes pictures of the all the stains in the shipment. Perhaps looking thru that can help to narrow it down.

On the choices you posted the B option would be visually stunning I think.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I was going to read this tread but hold my thoughts on this until you posted, Pat. No one would do this but me, I suspect. I went back to 2014 and looked at every Kenny import since. Sixty months! What I saw was consistency in quality and vastness in variety. Usually 50 or more different to choose month to month. I would think that Dennis is one of the best and comes highly recommended and I would know that Kenny will offer a large variety of choices consistently month in and month out. He sells out his inventory each and every month. My point is...excellent product and all represented with individual clear and quality photos of each fish.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Al vets the sponsors of SD meticulously. Any of those he permits to sell to the SD community will supply good quality discus. Kenny is no exception with a vast track record of quality fish and a plethora of satisfied customers. I must admit I am a little biased towards Dennis because my experience buying from him was outstanding. Having said that, the big draw to Dennis was that he is local to me...there is nothing quite like visiting a quality discus show room in person and hand picking the discus you take home...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Al vets the sponsors of SD meticulously. Any of those he permits to sell to the SD community will supply good quality discus. Kenny is no exception with a vast track record of quality fish and a plethora of satisfied customers. I must admit I am a little biased towards Dennis because my experience buying from him was outstanding. Having said that, the big draw to Dennis was that he is local to me...there is nothing quite like visiting a quality discus show room in person and hand picking the discus you take home...
    Good points and well said! Book 'em, Dano!

Registered Member

I agree about its my personal choice. Some like the rainbow some the non pigeon type some the pigeon type. I have had a ton of different set ups and trust most sponsors online here. I appreciate all the responses. I know who I am leaning towards in the purchasing department and do like the silver pigeons even the leopard or spotted pigeons. Its hard not to love the traditional all blue style of a tank. I have never raised true cobalts. I have had almost every other type of blue but not a cobalt. Makes me think lol

Registered Member

I have looked at Kenny, Hans, Chicago Discus the whole list of vendors if I didn't mention I have looked. Its not about where I am going to buy, but what exactly LOL

Registered Member

I have a nice mix in my tanks. Why not try a few from each?

Registered Member

Or try albinos. Here's an Albino Curipera I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    Or try albinos. Here's an Albino Curipera I purchased from Kenny a few months ago.
    Sorry couldn't get the pic to upload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast