AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hard water stopped HOB filter??

Real Name
    Dan

Default Hard water stopped HOB filter??

Anyone hear of a filter dying because of hard water... in two weeks? I have two new Seachem Tidal 110 hang on back filters that have been running for 15 days. One didn't turn on today after a water change so I took it apart and all surfaces are coated in what I assume is calcium. I just completed a water change and had to re-syphon the entire tank bottom because so much calcium flaked off the filter just from taking it off the back of the tank. My guess is there is buildup around the prop that is preventing the motor from spinning it easily. The pump on the filter restarted after I stuck something in the prop and spun it. After I unplugged it, it would not start again on its own. I can only assume its the hard water building up that is causing this. I knew my water was the equivalent of liquid rock but didn't think it would be this bad.

I've had a few batches of Discus before but this is my first time with fish in Michigan water (municipal, not even a well). My hardness test strips go up to 425 PPM and 25 GPG and the water is definitely at the top of the scale. Every few days I have to scrape the entire tank with a razor blade to get the buildup off. My house has a water softener but I bypass it for the fish water, since I've read that is what you are supposed to do. Thoughts, comments, or suggestions? I am not really concerned, more just amazed at how bad my water is and wanted to share. If I keep having issues I will just use sponge filters. I hate to say it, but the only reason I bought the Seachem filters is because they have heater holders... I never have luck with heater suction cups.

Default Re: Hard water stopped HOB filter??

I'd have never thought that possible, but you said it was your experience I'll believe you. If this is really the case I can think of no way out other than to start mixing your tap with a lot of RO or using rain water if there isn't a lot of air pollution where you live.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

You can always try African Cichlids or like mentioned RO water.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Do you aerate and pre-heat your water? Calcium carbonate becomes less soluble with increasing temperature and as CO2 is off-gassed. You might be able to avoid some of the issues if you preheat slightly higher than your tank and aerate vigorous so that the limescale deposits in your aging barrel rather than your tank.

I've also heard of people mixing softened and non-softened water to avoid this, I've never done it and like you have heard of issues using softened tap water. You might have to go to sponge filters or get an RO unit to blend with the liquid rock you have. 1/3 tap 2/3 RO would get you to a good spot.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to avoid RO because of the cost of waste water. Rainwater is nice in theory but sounds like a hassle to collect and store. I emailed Seachem and they sent me instructions on how to take the propeller off the filter and clean the inside of the housing so I will try doing that regularly.

I do aerate my water for 24 hours and have buildup in my aging barrel. I use a Tetra APK100 pond air pump with two big air stones that seems to agitate the surface nicely. I usually age about 100 gallons for 24 hours and then add 25 gallons of hot tap water to the aging barrel an hour before the water change. Once I add the hot water, I turn on two pumps and let them shoot the water through a hose against the water surface and the pH seems to match the tank. I've got 16- 2.5" juvies and they don't seem to mind any of this. They eat like pigs and look like they've grown in the two weeks I've had them.

Real Name
    Dan

I did my water change tonight and both filters would not turn back on!! They started running after I manually spun them. Here are some pictures that show the scale of crud. Keep in mind the tank and all equipment is only two weeks old. The second picture shows the hard water deposits after I scraped the sides of the tank (second time this week). That's what's left after syphoning and a 100% water change. There's still a lot of buildup on the glass. The third picture shows the deposits on the filter after I tried to scrape most of it off. The last picture shows calcium or whatever is in the water flaking off after the filter pump started (it was cleaned out yesterday). 2019-08-06 22.14.37.jpg2019-08-06 22.11.59.jpg2019-08-06 22.12.50.jpg2019-08-06 22.23.21.jpg