ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: High Nitrate in grow out tank

Default High Nitrate in grow out tank

Hey all, I have problem in my grow out tank my API test is giving me nitrate=10-20ppm, nitrite=0ppm, ammonia=0ppm, ph=7.2. My holding 55 gallon reserve nitrate= 0ppm, I'm in the process of doing a large water change but I have no other ideas can you guys give me what my problem could be?????????????? Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: High Nitrate in grow out tank

How big is the grow out tank and what is the water change routine? Your filtration is obviously working. Growouts can produce an enormous amount of waste.

The tank is a 65 gallon I have the big penguin box filter on the back and a sponge filter in the middle. I have about 20 2-3" babies, I have been changing water every other day depending on the waste some times everyday. I'm noticing that some of the smaller ones breathing at the top of the tank and darker than usual.

Real Name
    Brian

Sounds over crowded and under filtered to me. Prolonged exposure to nitrates can really be bad on their development. If they are hanging at the top and breathing hard, they could be exposed to ammonia before the filters have a chance to catch up. I would increase water changes to 75% every day with that bio load or split them into additional tanks. Adding 3 tbs salt per 10g can help them deal with nitrate poisoning, but this should be temporary until nitrates are under control.

In one of my tanks I have 8 juvies in a 55g and use 3 sponge filters rated at 125g each and I do 50%+ water changes daily, although I use 3 sponges in my tanks no matter what tank size or population.

There are other organics that can influence water quality other than nitrate levels. Slime growth on the sides of the tanks, organic matter inside the filters, etc...
    Last edited by jeep; 08-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Okay, good to know will give it a go on the salt and another sponge filter...………………………..Jim

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jim, your best friend will be daily water changes with your babies. Try it for a week.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Jim, your best friend will be daily water changes with your babies. Try it for a week.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat I know that, I've been pretty lack with my maintenance lately. I'm gonna try and do better...………………...Jim

Real Name
    Brian

I can't find the original article I read about salt and nitrates, but I can't find that it will help with nitrate poisoning now. It won't hurt anything, but I can't find that it will help...

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I thought salt was for nitrites not nitrates? Not sure but assuming your source water doesn't have ammonia or chloramines then up your WC's and this should be taken care of!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    Thanks Pat I know that, I've been pretty lack with my maintenance lately. I'm gonna try and do better...………………...Jim
    Your dog looks like he's mulling over the situation.

Jeanne.in northridgeville