AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Removing a bullied Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Default Removing a bullied Discus

I have a small Discus who is always hiding from his larger tankmates. He is much smaller because the other Discus have always beaten him to the food. I have tried to feed him separately but have not been successful. I’ve considered moving him to a separate tank to keep him from starving to death. Is this a bad idea? Suggestions appreciated.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Removing a bullied Discus

I would leave him in the tank as long as it is healthy enough. Another one may take it's place and become picked on and stunted. Others may disagree and have a better solution.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Thanks.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I would leave him in the tank as long as it is healthy enough. Another one may take it's place and become picked on and stunted. Others may disagree and have a better solution.
    I would and have done the same. I have this now with a little guy so what I do is herd everyone to one side of the tank and load them up with food then I go the little guy's side and put food there as well. Lately the little guy has learned that when I hand feed everyone that if he gets there first, and he is a fish little mutt, he will get the food before the others arrive on the scene.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Thanks. I’ll try that.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

My smallest one is always getting bothered by my larger ones. He's survives for 2 years now, hasn't grown at all but seems healthy. He picks food off of the sponge and leftovers. My larger discus fight amongst themselves but maybe more if this little guy wasn't in there. I've gotten over my urge to remove the guy because I think a pecking order has been established in my tank and I don't want to disturb that since for the most part they are doing great.
    Koji

75 gallon bare bottom, minimalist discus tank.
    16 gallon salty with way too many BTAs and 2 clowns.