ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My new breeding pair

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default My new breeding pair

I thought some of you might like to see my new pair of Flachen's. They are only 11 mo. old, and I have a 75 gal. tank with 8 of them. I got them last Nov. at 2" from Discus Hans.

I think this is their first time, unless they did it before and I didn't see them. The male followed right behind her and ate each egg as she put them down. The other 6 discus watched from a distance. I have no need or desire to raise any baby discus, and our water is over ph of 9 so they wouldn't hatch any way. But it was interesting to watch and I noted that their colors got so dark as they spawned. They got back to their light turquoise/green color when they finished, and he was full of caviar
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Default Re: My new breeding pair

Nice pair! I am of the opinion that those that eat the young are getting a most nutritious meal.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They are gorgeous Barb Do you have a full tank shot?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice Barb. Flachen's are my fav Stendker. Love to see the whole group. Cheers
    Last edited by danotaylor; 08-11-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Corrected mis-spelt name lol

Registered Member

I'm also a fan of Flachens, soon will be buying 4 Solid and 3 Snakeskin.

Thank you all, I will try for a full tank shot later today, but I am told that my pic taking leaves much to desire. I will try.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I'll tell you what, Barb. If you can keep Angels and Discus happy and healthy enough to spawn in a planted tank with your liquid rock water, you certainly have the touch. Shame you don't want (don't have the time) to breed. That's a very good looking pair.
    Mama Bear

Thanks Liz. My tanks are BB but I have Anubias on fake and real wood. I hope to have a couple of my pots filled with large swords when they come available. Funny how the angels and discus could care less about our rock hard water, but the plants sure care. I can raise a baby angel or discus with no problem, lots of clean, warm water and excellent foods. But plants just hate this water. I water my indoor plants with rainwater.
    Barb

Real Name
    Willie

Congratulations, Barb!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Thanks Willie. I put one of my cones into the tank, since I don't want any spawns I didn't even have a cone in there. The same day I put it in I see the female hanging around it and cleaning it. I guess there will be more eggs in a week or so, on the cone this time. Will try for a pic when it happens, and also a full tank shot.
    Barb

Here they are. This is about 1/3 of the tank, and they did their best to pose for me. The female who spawned a couple days ago is the big one, lower right. These are some gorgeous fish, even better in person. But this is about the best my camera will do for me.
    Barb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful fish, Barb.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Nice Barb. Glad to see you have some round fish at home still.... l know someone that makes really good breeding cones if you ever want to try your hand at breeding
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

The fish lower left looks very similar to a Blue Scorpion that I have. I wonder if the two variations were at one point derived for the same source? Nice healthy and beautiful fish, every one of them.

Thanks Liz, Joe and peewee. I don't know about the flachen's history. But I do know that Hans also has Flachen Snakeskins. They are beauties too. Joe, I have already contacted her and have one of her cones in the tank now. Female breeder is staying right next to it. I will get a pic when she and her mate spawn and he has another caviar dinner.
    Barb