ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ribeye steak recipe

Real Name
    Dave

Default Ribeye steak recipe

Well I went to a local meat market that sells grass fed Angus, and the steers they use for butchering are not raised on a feed lot.

I purchased two ribeye steaks a little over two inches thick (5.5 pounds) at $6.99 per pound.

I got them home, unwrapped them, and left them on the counter for an hour.

Then placed them in a 17 inch cast iron skillet along side a cube of butter. seasoned them with salt, black pepper, and rosemary.

put the lid on the skillet and baked them at 350 for 45 minutes.

They were warm all the way through, but nice and rare (like I like my steak) as in Red in the middle, not pink.

It took me two meals to eat one ribeye.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Default Re: Ribeye steak recipe

I've never tried making steak that way. I've always pan broiled to medium rare which is how I like mine. I'll have to try it your way and see what I think. I rarely eat beef but I'm always open to new ways of cooking.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Liz posted shrimp, Dave posts Ribeye's, my two favorites. Now I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. A bit of each!!

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    Well I went to a local meat market that sells grass fed Angus, and the steers they use for butchering are not raised on a feed lot.

I purchased two ribeye steaks a little over two inches thick (5.5 pounds) at $6.99 per pound.

I got them home, unwrapped them, and left them on the counter for an hour.

Then placed them in a 17 inch cast iron skillet along side a cube of butter. seasoned them with salt, black pepper, and rosemary.

put the lid on the skillet and baked them at 350 for 45 minutes.

They were warm all the way through, but nice and rare (like I like my steak) as in Red in the middle, not pink.

It took me two meals to eat one ribeye.
    That's fantastic - sounds good & a bit like the reverse searing method, which I've used quite a bit lately - but I've not covered the steak while it's in the oven - and not baked it @ 350 degrees F either, but more like 300 - or 325, and not for as long as 45 minutes either - but I've mostly used 1.5" Angus rib-eyes - not 2" - so I'll have to give that a try.

I have to say though, that you folks in the States should consider yourselves fortunate to get such good beef so inexpensively - the angus rib-eyes available to me here range up to $38. cdn. or more per kilo, which easily equates to around $17. per lb. - or more than $10. per steak more than yours !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 08-12-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    That's fantastic - sounds good & a bit like the reverse searing method, which I've used quite a bit lately - but I've not covered the steak while it's in the oven - and not baked it @ 350 degrees F either, but more like 300 - or 325, and not for as long as 45 minutes either - but I've mostly used 1.5" Angus rib-eyes - not 2" - so I'll have to give that a try.

I have to say though, that you folks in the States should consider yourselves fortunate to get such good beef so inexpensively - the angus rib-eyes available to me here range up to $38. cdn. or more per kilo, which easily equates to around $17. per lb. - or more than $10. per steak more than yours !
    Paul, This is at a little Mexican meat market (their prices are way better than the grocery store or regular meat market). This market is associated with a local cattle ranch that raises the Angus breed, and that is why they are able to keep their prices so low.

The beef I got was probably select grade, and not prime grade, but it sure ate well.

Safeway prime grade ribeye was $23.00 per pound, their select grade was $11.99 per pound.

Last year I purchased some ribeye from this little meat market at $5.99 per pound.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Chef Paul, what do you think about the reverse sear thing? I've been curious about it but have never done it.
    Mama Bear

Reverse searing - It seems a bit fussy at first, & takes some try-outs & getting used to it, to get it right, but it really works nicely once you get the hang of it.

I've done it in the oven several times - using a cast iron skillet to low/slow cook it first, and then finishing it stove top at high heat, and it turns out med/rare - pink pretty well throughout- with just the outer sides seared - just great for me.

Also done same way on the BBQ grill - low & slow @ approx. 275 degrees away from the direct heat, and then seared on high heat for the last 2-3 minutes- turning only once. I'm a convert now.

Thanks for the excellent info, Paul. You are slowly turning me into a better cook.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks for the excellent info, Paul. You are slowly turning me into a better cook.
    If you want to try reverse searing, say a rib-eye, or a NY strip loin, on oven & stove top, Liz, let me know, and I'll walk you through exactly how to do it - temp, how long - steak thickness, etc.