AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Uniseals, glass aquarium to glass aquarium, have they stood the test of time?

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Default Uniseals, glass aquarium to glass aquarium, have they stood the test of time?

Folks,
    It's been a while since we've had a uni-seal thread. Rather than resurrect a 10 year old thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

I need to join the two sections of my dual chamber sump. Each chamber is a separate 20L aquarium. They are only going to be spaced about 7 inches from one another, so I don't have much room for rigid bulkheads at each tank. I'm thinking I want a 1 1/2" to 2" pipe between the two sumps. Obviously, I have some concerns about uniseals and the thin glass of 20L aquariums. However, I like that there will be a minor bit of tolerance with them for holes that don't line up absolutely perfect on the two 20L tanks.

Here's an idea of what I want to do.. look at the two chamber sump on the bottom shelves.
    4 x 20L.jpg

So, my questions are two-fold.

1. Has anyone used Uniseals on smaller aquariums with thinner glass?
    2. What kind of life and performance did you see from the Uniseal long term?

Any answers will be appreciated.
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 08-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Default Re: Uniseals, glass aquarium to glass aquarium, have they stood the test of time?

I never used a uniseal... and I don't think I would in this situation.
    I think you can fit a bulkhead per tank and a union in-between in a 7" spacing.
    As for alignment of the holes, make a jig out of plywood and your holes should be dead on. The recommended size hole for any bulkhead always allows for some adjustments. In the end for a large error you could always adjust one side with a thin material under one tank.

Real Name
    Peter

Default Re: Uniseals, glass aquarium to glass aquarium, have they stood the test of time?

Perhaps a PVC Tru-Union Valve.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMV39TD...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Then of course short bulkheads as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bulkhead-Fitt...19CNT7KAFBJM13

Upon further examination, there is about 9" of space to work with. But all of that space will be needed for the 2" kit.

The Uniseals could introduce issues later if I need to disassemble.
    Peter

learning never stops

The valve union is nice but I don't think necessary and is lager than a simple union

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerk...4aAkVEEALw_wcB

Real Name
    Mark

I’ve used uniseals on acrylic, brute cans and fiberglass with no issues. Some have been in service for over 10 yrs. I have never used them with glass, let alone thin glass. With lubrication the install is pretty easy but once dry and in place they can be challenging to remove. I would go with standard bulkheads with threaded ends and use adapters to rigid pipe so it can be dis-assembled in the future.

Don't know if you saw this...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pU99xsNyB2Q

Real Name
    Peter

thanks for the link. the glass cracking... hmmm.

i am leaning towards rigid bulkheads.
    Peter

learning never stops