AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone struggle with the amount of “waste” water created?

Registered Member

Default Anyone struggle with the amount of “waste” water created?

Hey Guys,
    I’m waiting for a discus arrival at the end of the month and plan to stock my 160 gallon with 12 discus and 150 rummy nose tetras. I’ll be running my overflow to my garden and a drip line will be adding 12 gallons of filtered water a day. I’ll also be vacuuming every week. Monthly, this will be around 500 gallons of water.

It’s difficult for me to wrap my mind around the amount of “waste” water created from the water changes, especially if using RODI that has, at best, 1:1 waste water itself.

Does it bother anyone else or is it just apart of the hobby?

Default Re: Anyone struggle with the amount of “waste” water created?

I knew this before I bought my first Discus. If I hadn't accepted that fact from the get-go I'd have invested in rainbows. or BN pleco or any of the types of fish that turn me on.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

I change about 300 gallons daily, everyday.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I've been thinking about this, the water that we throw away is expensive in that it's been treated and heated untill its nice and toasty, then throw most of it away the next day.

If we look at what we are throwing away from the eyes of a discus person, the waters no good but to many hardier fish, the water is still exceptional in quality. 20ppm of nitrates is nothing for many species 300ppm is getting pretty high. Anyway, my warm expensive water continually dribbles into my garden, about 400 l a day at the moment. I had a very fleeting vision of a large african cichlid pond,or guppy breeding pond or something else quite large that I could make either aesthetic or productive.

I'm not a discus expert, I've only just purchased my first discus yesterday. 20 years ago I had a few but I was too "smart" LOL in my youth, to keep them well. But I suspect that there are methods or producing quality fish without all of the water changes. Nitrates aren't good but I suspect that there are other things at play which retard discus, growth retarding hormone emission etc. It's hard to find info on it.

For now, keep dumping water but IMO use it and use it well, Its a lot of water and many things would thrive in it.

Hmm, now my minds racing - Maybe outdoor pleco breeding? and the discharge from that could be used to breed guppies, the discharge from that could sustain a very nice pondy type african or american cichlid display. Then feed it to the garden

Real Name
    Mervin

The only problem with the drop method, is that some of the new water will be going straight back down the drain along with the older water. The 12 gallons that would have been changed will only be half that. So, your not changing as much as you think you are. Only wasting more water with this method.

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, it's a wasteful hobby. When I first began, this forum was so new I didn't know it existed and I had no idea about water changes or how much water is used. Now I accept it. My ultimate goal is to re-use the water, channeling it out into my garden, landscaping and yard, but that's just another project to construct and I have too many going on now.

As far as using RO, I use the waste water for all non-breeders (when I have them), but then it ultimately still goes down the drain...

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    The only problem with the drop method, is that some of the new water will be going straight back down the drain along with the older water. The 12 gallons that would have been changed will only be half that. So, your not changing as much as you think you are. Only wasting more water with this method.
    I drip directly into the pump intake back to the aquarium so the water has to make at minimum one pass through the aquarium.
    At the point any given water molecule reaches the drain the ratio is probably more than 1000:1 / old:new
    In any case... any added cost is well worth the time, effort and efficiency. In other words wc suck... :-D. lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eugene

I change about 300 gal per day too. Yes, it is kind of wasting a lot of water. But for the $$$$$$ worth of discus I have, I have no other better choices

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    I drip directly into the pump intake back to the aquarium so the water has to make at minimum one pass through the aquarium.
    At the point any given water molecule reaches the drain the ratio is probably more than 1000:1 / old:new
    In any case... any added cost is well worth the time, effort and efficiency. In other words wc suck... :-D. lol
    I don't believe your math to be so.The sump will continue to do the same thing. 12 going in ,12 coming out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Lyle

12 gallons for a 160 is still not a lot, even if it is a straight swap, especially if you have juvenile discus. I change 40g daily on my ~180g system with adults Discus.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicksta View Post
    That’s exactly what I have set up. The drips starts in my sump and at least gets cycled once in my tank before going down the outlet to my garden.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I don't believe your math to be so.The sump will continue to do the same thing. 12 going in ,12 coming out.
    You don't have to believe it as I know I am not losing anywhere near half of the fresh water or my nitrates would be higher.
    I've done it both ways and for the last 10+ years I've done a drip and you couldn't pay my water bill to go back to doing water changes.
    Not trying to convince you... I actually enjoy hearing about water changes.

@Lyle... I concur. I'm do anywhere from 30g - 50g on my 150g daily, depending on load.

@ des'... Mine stops in a 55g drum where I run a 100' coil of my drip line through as well as a half_ars'd heat exchanger. It's not pretty but I did notice a few degree increase at the tank.
    Then to the garden :-)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
    12 gallons for a 160 is still not a lot, even if it is a straight swap, especially if you have juvenile discus. I change 40g daily on my ~180g system with adults Discus.
    Thanks, looks like I will increase the drip rate to 40g a day. Especially since the discus will be 2.5-3 inch.

I have many fewer tanks now. I've cut down on water and electric. I can see the difference in my bills. Still, my Discus tanks still get 30 to 50 percent WC every day on my Discus tanks. I just can't help it. I would feel like I wasn't taking care of them well if I didn't do it.

Slicksta, if the condition fish is good and you're nitrates are low that alone proves that what you're doing is working for you.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

If water is costly or rationed in your area, a drip system is not the way to go unless you have money to pay for it. Hear is an old post for a 150 gal tank using drip system. See post #8. This is raw water from the tap. RO water and lot more water will be wasted.https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ge-system.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast