ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus dont seem to eat as much as others

Registered Member

Default Discus dont seem to eat as much as others

So I have 10 discus around 4 inches in a 75 gallon tank with 2 aquaclear 110s, 2 sponge filter and a .5 inch of sand if that (couldn't stand a bare tank).Tank is at 86 degrees and they get a 66% waterchange daily with vacuuming. They get fed 4 times a day with a variety of healthy good protein flakes, pellets, frozen and freeze dried. On average I'd say they eat about a total of 4-5 cubes of hikari frozen food per day. These cubes are pretty small. If I try to feed more there is usually left overs even after 45 mins or so.. so i remove it.

Is this a normal amount they should be eatting?.. I've searched this forum and it seems most of you guys are feeding more than this for this many discus and size of them.

Everyone is eating some more then others.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: Discus dont seem to eat as much as others

I have 5 discus, 3 are about 5-6 inches and other 2 are smaller. Mine take a long time to eat because the 2 dominant fish likes to protect the food from others instead of eating right away. After 30 minutes or so they start eating but still takes a long time. They finish in about 2 hours.
    Koji

75 gallon bare bottom, minimalist discus tank.
    16 gallon salty with way too many BTAs and 2 clowns.

Registered Member

Nobody on a forum for discus can tell me how much they should be eating?

No offence but your question is pretty hard to answer. I cant quantify it for you. Even if someone could give you a %body weight to feed in a day, it would be hard to relate to a mix of frozen and dried foods with different water contents.

I can qualify it - your fish should eat with great enthusiasm until they are bulging, greedy ones will continue to peck at food, even if they are too fat to swallow it.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by cooper666 View Post
    No offence but your question is pretty hard to answer. I cant quantify it for you. Even if someone could give you a %body weight to feed in a day, it would be hard to relate to a mix of frozen and dried foods with different water contents.

I can qualify it - your fish should eat with great enthusiasm until they are bulging, greedy ones will continue to peck at food, even if they are too fat to swallow it.
    Thank you, that puts some perspective on it. My fish are just random and I'd like to get it down without leaving food for too long.