AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello from the U.K - Discus scare last night after water change

Registered Member

Default Hello from the U.K - Discus scare last night after water change

Hi all,

I'm from England and about 4 weeks into the hobby. I thought I'd go straight into owning Discus (Stendker variety), even though people were trying to put me off. From what I read, as long as your water is super clean, good food and water parameters your good to go! I cycled the tank prior to the discus, but had some high levels (1.0ppm) nitrate due to the amount of fish I added in one go but was controlled using prime and added some additional sponge filters, now all is well - It's been 48 hours and levels are still ok (still monitoring daily)

200 Litre (55 gallon) Juwel Lido fish tank
    0 Ammonia
    0 Nitrite
    10/20 ppm Nitrate
    29C temperature (84F)
    10 Discus about 8cm?
    Feeding 5/6 times per day - Beef heart mix - Fish are growing like weeds!
    Daily water changes - Depending on the load between 25% and 50%
    Quartz sand very minimal amount
    Waste is siphoned via a gravel VAC

I had a real scare list night when doing a water change. For the last 2 weeks I've had the discus, I do the water change the same way:

1. Syphon the old water into Jerry cans
    2. Test the old water using API test kit
    3. Put in either prime or Stress coat BEFORE adding the new water - to kill chlorine etc
    3. Connect hose pipe to kitchen tap, get the water to temperature as best I can (sometimes the temperature does fluctuate but it rarely makes the tank drop more than half a degree)
    4. Put the hose in the tank and fill it up
    5. Add a bit more Stress coat for good measure (I stick to recommended values)
    6. Test the water again

After I added the new water, my discus really started to act VERY strangely. It's as if they had seen a ghost, VERY wide eyes, not moving, clamped fins, breathing very heavy and totally still. One of the fish (not in shot) was laying on it's side with the same symptoms. I started to panic, the other tank mates (2 guppies and 2 neon tetras) were fine. I started to think it was something to do with chlorine or metals in the water - So I added another capful of prime and 25ml of tap safe. About 10 minutes later they were back to normal.

I have done nothing different in the last 2 weeks... I really didn't understand what I'd done wrong. I think it was to do with the chlorine as above?

To stop this happening again, I've invested in a HMA filter via next day delivery!

I've attached a picture, which doesn't do it justice.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul_ds1985; 08-15-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Default Re: Hello from the U.K - Discus scare last night after water change

Sounds like chlorimines, and do you check your tank ph before a water change and compare that to your water change source ph.

Jeanne

Real Name
    Brian

Are you sure you didn't forget the Prime during the initial water change? This sounds like classic Chloramines poisoning and it will kill your fish if not treated.

I know because I've done it myself

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke

I Would agree with Jeep, potentially forgot the Prime before adding the water.

HMA filter will help with this though, I had one previously and they're so much easier. Just remember to turn it off when the tank is full (after 2 floods and unhappy wife!)

Stendker fish grow really well, my previous tank was a 500l and had around 12 discus in there. They're bullet proof.

Trying to decide whether to do Stendker again (especially the new white strains) or Martin Ng, both sets will be amazing.

Registered Member

Many thanks all for your replies on this matter. HMA filter should be arriving sometime today... Been daily water changes still but cutting down the amount (25% max).

The HMA filter has two inline garden hose connectors