Brian

Default Re: Sodium Thiosulfate

I'm glad I asked. Thanks everyone!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Teo

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    So I'm reading up and I see that Sodium Thiosulfate breaks the chlorine/ammonia bond but does not neutralize the ammonia. Is this correct? And if I do have chloramines in my tap, is the left over ammonia handled by the bio filter efficiently or do people use something else to neutralize the ammonia? Or should you not use ST f you have chloramines?
    I bought 1kg for $5 (I'm in Asia).
    64g of sodium thiosulfate to 600ml of distilled water (stock solution).
    10ml treats 150ltr of water.

I dosed sodium thiosulfate for 70% of fresh water volume and the remaining 30%, I'm using aquascience new pond dechlorinator for my Asian arowana and stingray tank.

I've used heaps of thio in aquaculture. We sterilise water with chlorine, let it sit for a set time, then thio it. Most water conditioners are mostly thio with stabilisers to stop the sulphur separation thing + other stuff to detoxify the ammonia Home made stock solutions will stink of sulphur after a while. Mostly its hard to overdose thio, however it can be extremely toxic to crustaceans, particularly when they are larvae. We killed many many banana prawns in a hatchery (billions) by using too much thio. I'm not sure about the nice little shrimps that people grow here, but if you are breeding them I'd be extremely sparing with thio. EG - test for chlorine, add tiny amount of thio and test again. Repeat until the chlorine is gone. This is what we had to do in commercial prawn hatcheries.

Side note - Dechlorinating heavily chlorinated water with thiosulphate will strip the dissolved oxygen out of solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12