ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 8" Wild Discus

Real Name
    Mervin

Default 8" Wild Discus

Does some body have a pic of 8" wild discus in captivity or otherwise. I know 8" domestic discus are common; I had one. Is size a domestic breeding trait? I have never seen a wild that size. When I google I can't find one on a measure/ruler.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 8" Wild Discus

I had a wild 7.5 trombeta about three years ago (yes I measured it). I will hunt up some pics.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Here's a video of the Trombeta spawning with a Cuipeua. He is way bigger then she is.

Here's the spawning thread with pics of the Trombeta http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=Trombeta.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I would think that somewhere there would be one. Maybe not common. Are domestic rabbits, chickens, dogs, etc not larger than wild ones? Breeding, nutrition, medicines can get domestic discus to that size more commonly. If someone offered to me a discus that large I would be wary of its age and remaining life span.

Wow freakish

Jeanne

I have no proof, but well I had Wilds in the 90s I had 2 definitely over 8 in. 1 blue and 1 green. The blue was extraordinary really thick as well. I know this is not support what you are looking for but I have always felt that the wilds I had in the past were as big if not bigger then captive-bred that I have seen. My own discus now that are bought from importers and breeders are not closed because I don't even keep them in optimal conditions but still, many that I have seen who others have capped are not as "brick sh** house"-built as the wilds I had in the past. VERY subjective statement since I was 12-21 then with no proof but I swear, even the smaller ones that were between 6 and 6.5" rivaled or surpassed nearly all captive bred I've seen firsthand. All but two of them I purchased from Pet World in Denbigh, Newport News, Virginia at the time. Dave F. was the owner of the store. He let me work there when I was in high school. He knew how much I cared for them. One of the last times I saw Dave, he told me it's been a long time since he has been able to import wild discus. He had tried but the shipments he received did not hold a match to what he used to receive and yet they cost him more as opposed to the quality used to bring in
    -Elliot

One thing I know for sure is that most domestics have overly long tails. The long tail adds length but takes away from roundness. That's why when it comes to Discus I believe in SL over TL.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

I've noticed the tails being longer and more uniform on domestics too. I agree with SL over TL. I've noticed the eyes on some stains are smaller these days, also.

Registered Member

inbreeding anything will change something. Both good and bad. The Pharaohs would be an example of human inbreeding that turned out badly. My first adventure with discus was from a batch I got from Herman Chan at Fairly Lake. The fish were as close to wild without importing wild as one could get in those days. There were no hybrid choices then. When I came back to collecting I began with every color of the rainbow but of late I migrated back to the wild crosses. I think I must have realized that I did not want anymore hybrids without really thinking why.

I now have Red Alenquer, Stripe Alenquer, Alenqure, and a Red Heckel crosses. I am going to let those varieties pair. Although their diets consist of red foods, such as beef heart, blood worms, and Hikari Vibra Bites and Bio-Gold they remain brown with variations of blue striations. I prefer that but wonder where the red is? These fish are round and brown. Al Castro has wild F1 for sale now. I wonder if he has noticed this longer length tendency in inbred fish?