ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Temperature Controller Recommendations

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Default Temperature Controller Recommendations

I am concerned about possible temperature fluctuations in my Discus tanks. Do you use temperature controllers in your tanks? Since two heaters are recommended in each tank, do you use a controller for each one? Any suggestions, especially by brand name, are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default Re: Temperature Controller Recommendations

I use the Inkbird ITC-308 , not in my discus tank but in my reef tanks. Works very well. I work for a large company and we use the same controller to protect millions of dollars worth of inventory.
    Koji

75 gallon bare bottom, minimalist discus tank.
    16 gallon salty with way too many BTAs and 2 clowns.

Real Name
    Brian

If you're into DIY and can come up with a housing, I've seem people use this one. I'm ordering 6 when I get my room ready. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...b21ea71e5f18aa

If you look around, some display in F and C. I think Inkbird sells one that displays both...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Thanks.

Real Name
    Bill G.

My Inkbirds both died on me. Went with Blueline and have been happy ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If you're into DIY and can come up with a housing, I've seem people use this one. I'm ordering 6 when I get my room ready. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-S...b21ea71e5f18aa

If you look around, some display in F and C. I think Inkbird sells one that displays both...
    They are a very good unit, we had about 20 of them at my old job. The only real problems we encountered were when they got switched to cooling mode by accident (someone mashed the wrong buttons)
    Last edited by cooper666; 08-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Real Name
    Mark

I run an Inkbird on my hospital tank. On my display system I run a Neptune Apex controller with a custom unit that can switch up to eight 300W heaters at one time. I am currently running four at 300w each. The Apex has only failed once in over 12 yrs and when it did it shut down rather than stuck on. On a side note the Inkbird is simple to use as is not the case with the Apex but it will do much more than control temp.

Redundancy with heaters as with any critical hardware is safest. So yes.. two heaters are better than one... and the same goes for controllers.
    In 20+ years of fish keeping I've only experienced losses from a heater malfunction once. Of course it was 200 of the best Cardinals I have ever seen while in qt and with one heater. COOKED!
    That said I still have some 20 year old Ebo Jager heaters that maintain perfect temp once set though the calibration of the dial is not accurate anymore.
    Recently I added a Elitech EK-3010 controller and it seems to be working well. My plan is to have 2 controllers so that any malfunction won't be detrimental and any error should be alarmed by the other unit. The 3010 is a DIY build, so it's not for everyone. It's a commercial HVAC unit rated at 10A (1200w) and has alarms for low and hi temp as well as sensing probe disconnect. Cost $24 each and a 2 unit build was under $75
    I'd say the primary failure of any controller is the sensing probe, so easy replacement is a key feature.
    I'd also add that in my experience with heaters as with other electrical hardware, the second most common failure is with the relay contacts. That's why I feel it's best to over rate this spec and connect below 50% of the rated capacity. Typically a contact stuck On is near it's rated capacity.
    Lastly I've found that the lower wattage heaters seem to be more reliable and no longer go above 200w. In my opinion in the larger units they increase the size of the heating element but not always the accompanying components and that's why they have a higher failure rate.
    Attached Images Attached Images