ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 12 New juvie arrivals- opinions?

Registered Member

Default 12 New juvie arrivals- opinions?

Hey Guys,

I’m hoping to hear some opinions of the discus I received in the mail last week. I am new to the hobby and this was my first discus order. I’m unsure if I received good juveniles or culls. What do you guys think?

1- Blue Diamond
    1- White Face Red Melon
    1- Snow White
    1- Golden Pigeon
    2- Red Pigeon Juvies (B Grade)
    3- Red Turquoise
    3- Red Cover Juvies

https://youtu.be/YHw7ha4s0fk

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/des275/library/Discus

aa.jpg

bb.JPG

ccc.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: 12 New juvie arrivals- opinions?

If you remove the "s" from https your vid will load like this;

Registered Member

Thanks! I’ll be sure to keep that in mind for future posts.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

Hi, welcome to the discus hobby. What a spectacular school of fish that is- it's mesmerizing how they swim so in sync. May I ask, those are from Uncle Sam's Discus? I recognized the B-grade red pigeons juvies from the website. To answer your question, they all are of pretty decent grade- definitely not culls- as their colors are bright and the shape is well rounded. The red covers and the red turquoise are somewhat dark in color though, from which I suspect to be from the dark background. Discus will blend in according to their surrounding, meaning they will be dark in a black gravel tank. Somewhat ironically, I think the "B grade" pigeons have the best shape of them all, as it's almost perfectly round.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Hi, welcome to the discus hobby. What a spectacular school of fish that is- it's mesmerizing how they swim so in sync. May I ask, those are from Uncle Sam's Discus? I recognized the B-grade red pigeons juvies from the website. To answer your question, they all are of pretty decent grade- definitely not culls- as their colors are bright and the shape is well rounded. The red covers and the red turquoise are somewhat dark in color though, from which I suspect to be from the dark background. Discus will blend in according to their surrounding, meaning they will be dark in a black gravel tank. Somewhat ironically, I think the "B grade" pigeons have the best shape of them all, as it's almost perfectly round.

Thanks for the warm welcome! You are correct, I placed an order from them and they arrived last week. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by des275 View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome! You are correct, I placed an order from them and they arrived last week. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    I immediately saw the stocking list and recognized this was likely an Uncle Sam's purchase. Glad to see them arrive healthy and I think it's cool you have so many Rummynose which I assume were also picked up from Uncle Sam's bulk ordering process they've added. I almost pulled out the card this weekend and did the same, but my wife believes I already have too many tanks and fish and having a tank leak this weekend didn't help my cause. haha! Keep us updated on your fish, very nice looking scape too!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Nice bunch of discus. I'm a huge fan of the red covers.

If you want them to grow out to full potential you'll have to feed them plenty. And, given that you're in a substrate / planted tank, you may want to keep the floor bottom cleaned daily. The dark substrate will keep the fish somewhat dark not so much the background if it gets completely covered in green.

Since you're new to the hobby, I will give you this one advice.

WC, WC, WC. keep up with your Water changes. Once they are adult size you can lower the WC's.