AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Discus not doing well/dieing

Registered Member

Default New Discus not doing well/dieing

I tried Discus years ago, when I first joined the forum, and thought I did an ok job back then but still ended up loseing them. Fast forward and I thought I would give them another try with a better grow out set up but the ones I got have not well at all, they will not eat anything, are smaller then I realized, and I have lost 3 out of 7 in less then a week.

Discus are 1.75-2"", imported, hormones I am sure as they are quite colorful for their size, were in regular daily changed tap water and looked good, at the store several days and suppose to be eating freeze dried CBWs, I had frozen blood worms/brine/mysis/BH mix, black worm flakes and different sizes of pellet so did not get any freeze dried CBWs and my local store is out, you cant get live ones here, and I have given them all the above and they have not touched any of it from what I have seen.

Tank is a 30g, bare bottom, sides covered, Led light, two large sponge filters and air stone run by 2 air pumps, jager 150, temp 86, PH 7.6-8, everything else is 0, I do a 3/4 WC every evening with 24 hour aged/heated/airated water, water is well water so is fairly high in minerals but no clorine, I add a 1/4 tsp of safe to the 30g brute can when filling it just to safe in case of ammonia and add 1/8tsp to the tank after the WC to take care of any ammonia build before the next WC.

I treated them for 4+ hours with 2ppm Pp, without adding Safe that WC as I know it destroys Pp, on the third day after the first 2 died but did not improve anything, the first two seemed to float at the surface but not bloated or anything, they have clear eyes and good color mostly still so I am not sure what to treat them with? I have metro, prazi, kanaplex, polyguard etc.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: New Discus not doing well/dieing

Welcome to Simply. Sorry you're having issues...

Hormones could very well be the problem... I've experienced this recently myself by buying from a less than reputable seller.

You gave some good info, but if you could follow this link and copy the form, fill it out and paste it back on this thread, maybe we can help more... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Actual water readings and photos would be a big help...

Real Name
    Dan

Could that dosage of Safe cause a problem? I know it is hard to overdose, but you are using enough Safe for 750 gallons (1 teaspoon will dose 1,200 gallons). I use 1/8 teaspoon for a 125 gallon tank.

To me, it sounds like something fundamental is seriously wrong and IMO the right tests will reveal the problem.

Sorry to hear of your woes, finding problems can be difficult but it must be something big! Keep looking and I think you will find the problem, temp fluctuations during WC's etc.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=