ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Should I get rid of my balloon molly and guppies from my Discus tank? And more

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default Should I get rid of my balloon molly and guppies from my Discus tank? And more

So my tank gallon is 80, at first we didn't know what to pick for our fish so we got balloon mollies, cardinal tetras, panda corydoras, and guppies. Simple and yet cute. Then we looked into Discus, beautiful fish by the way and watch and ask many store owners about how to raise them and etc. Now it is kind of hard to decide if I should get rid of my balloon mollies and guppies due to taking over the discus's food. There is only like 4 guppies and 6 balloon molly(1 seem prego) and I was wondering if you guys have any advice?

Are flakes good for discus? Seem like everytime I try to feed them, it seems so tiny for their size and sometimes they miss because they are slow as heck.

Do discus eat corydoras's eggs? Just curious

Store owner told me since my discus are domestic, I should not do too much water changes and do it once per week. My ph is pretty high which is 7.6 but know that domestic discus can adapt to it. My temperature is 82.

We are also planning to get 2 more for our 80 gallon. So far in total we got 6. The first 2 we got at a lame store that doesn't seem to take care of their Discus well and one of them had cloudy eye and some fun problems when we brought him/her home but he/she seem to do a lot better from my tank. They are 2 inches and was kinda cheap? 25 dollar each(which i kinda got scam because there were another location that had discus 2 inches but for 12 dollars) . The 2 small discus felt uncomfortable and I read online that discus tend to work alot better if they are school so i got 4 more. Anyway then I went to another location and these one were 4 inches for 25 each! Good price so I got 4 immediately. I thought the new and bigger discus were going to harass the small ones but surprisingly they didnt. Now we are thinking about getting 2 more but I was wondering, if we did get 2 adult size(one female and male), would it be a problem if they were bigger than 4 inches and also would other discus try to eat discus's fries. Please help me with your knowledge!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Should I get rid of my balloon molly and guppies from my Discus tank? And more

Hi Donny, instead of worrying about getting more discus I think you would be better off doing some research on basic discus care. The shop keeper gave you some poor advice regarding water changes. I would suggest starting with this video located in the first post of this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...CH-THIS-VIDEO!.

Also read some of the stickie threads in the beginner section. Focus on how to do water changes, aging water, feeding and very important, how to quarantine new fish. Your best bet with the guppies and mollies is to put them in a different tank as I know that guppies need their water in the seventies and perhaps the mollies too. The rest of the fish are ok.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Should I get rid of my balloon molly and guppies from my Discus tank? And more

I believe that Discus are not ideal community tank choices. With exception, I do have corys but also other tank mates couls be those fish that live with Discus in their natural environment. I had also read that gold fish are good choices for Discus as well. The Al video that Pat recommended is a must. I watch it from time to time just to remind myself of what I am doing. To buy fish from a fish store is like that of buying a used car as opposed to a new car dealership. The new car shop, or sellers like Hans, Dennis, Chicago, or Kenny, know specific product, The used car shop, like the fish store has everything and probably knows little about anything. Watch the video then plan your next move.