AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Stressed out discus?

Registered Member

Default Stressed out discus?

Hi all,

I own 10 Discus and i noticed this morning when feeding one of them got stuck between a slate rock and the tank. It thrashed round a bit, not to aggressivly but seemed to swim off ok.

Now he/she looks stressed out, clamped fins but breathing ok.

I've just fed them again (beef heart) they all dashed for it like they always do but the stressed out one just stayed put - Very unusuall as he never does this?

Again, i witnessed it as it happened so it was trapped for 2 seconds max. I can't see any marks or gashes on it.

I'm hoping it's just stressed and hasn't caused any damage? Should i be concerned?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Stressed out discus?

Hi Paul, hard to say. I would suggest keeping an eye on it and it should recover quickly if no harm was done.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Adding to what Pat said you might pay attention the the slime coat. If it was damaged the result could increase the opportunity for bacteria to attack the fish. I had a beautiful Blue Scorpion leap from the tank last month. The result of her flopping on the floor and me picking her up was a badly damaged slime coat. We had burns and fungus all over her body. I treated with water change, salt, and Prime. In less than a week her slime coat had restored and she is now trying to pair with another.

Registered Member

Looks like the discus is getting a bit back to normal, seems more happy now the water temp was raised by 1 degree

Where do you have your temp set?
    Mama Bear