ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Difference between strains?

Registered Member

Default Difference between strains?

What is the difference between Red turquoise, brilliant and German wonder st Stendker discus strains? They look pretty similar.

Also I see a lot of videos of red turq/blue turq discus that look very blue, I put this down to lighting mainly. Am I right?

Default Re: Difference between strains?

Strains and names are mostly made up bs so that you can pay extra to have something rare

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Jeez. Red fish, blue fish, one fish two fish. These are successful multinational companies with international distribution programs, heaven forbid they are trying to market their products...

'Get off my lawn'

The price ranges from $40 - $50 for 3" fish in the USA so not exactly made up BS to jack up the price.

To answer your question Killamanjaro, the Brilliant should be a blue turquoise (stripey) looking, predominantly blue with a brown/red background
    For the red turquoise the brown/red background is more prominent, more red than blue.
    The german wonder looks like the background is more red and less brown and the color bands more broken up and thinner, tending towards a leopard or snakeskin type fish.

They are all pretty similar and you'll get variation ordering juveniles. Ordering any of those three strains you can be certain you will get a blue/red fish with some bias towards what I mentioned above.

Real Name
    Ally

Thanks for asking this question as I was just wondering the same thing