ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What would become of this?

Real Name
    Steve

Default What would become of this?

I've avoided mixing strains much in my limited breeding.
    I recently downsized and put my turk/SS in with 2 very nice Snow Whites I've had for maybe 2 years. They've never paired up so I suspect they're the same sex. Of course, there's some activity now.
    My homegrown turk is taking an interest in one of the SW, which I recently read are brown based (not white butterfly/ PB) (I've also read white is dominant?). Anyway, what do experienced folks think would come of such a cross?
    Just to add, I'm not really encouraging it, except perhaps to get a SW to do SOMETHING. Just throwing it out there.
    Steve

044.jpg

041.jpg

Yes, (s)he's got a scratch.

Default Re: What would become of this?

Beautiful fish, Steve. I'm really not sure what you would get from this cross but my guess is more Turks and there's nothing wrong with Turks.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I'm clueless when it comes to discus genetics Steve, but they are very nicely colored (is white a color, lol) & shaped fish. One thing I do know about discus breeding...the scratch won't show in the progeny

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Liz. I wish the two SW would mate! I do have hopes for a SS pair.

Thanks Daniel. Ya, the scratch is almost gone today. The whole pigment vs light color thing is an interesting topic. Either way, I've been amazed by the total lack of other colors trying to come through after all this time. Admittedly, I have tried real hard to avoid foods with coloration (reds). I think Brian piped in somewhere recently to point out this kind of white might be brown based. I had read a while back that white was dominant in them, but obviously they don't survive in the wild. And of course they've been highly selective bred.

I wonder what other thoughts are out there.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I'm clueless when it comes to discus genetics Steve, but they are very nicely colored (is white a color, lol) & shaped fish. One thing I do know about discus breeding...the scratch won't show in the progeny
    White and black and all variations of gray in between are shades, not colors. Book 'em, Dano.

Real Name
    Steve

I think white is a human perception based on the combination of light wavelengths presented. White pigments allow those wavelengths to be visible.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Haha