AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Leveling 75 Gallon Aquarium

Registered Member

Default Leveling 75 Gallon Aquarium

Hey Guys,

Not new to Simply Discus, but my first post. Anyway got a question about leveling a 75 gallon tank on a bump. I have the tank leveled with shims, the issue is that the only place the stand is touching the carpet is at the back of the stand in the middle. If that makes any sense. I came to the conclusion that the stand is sitting on a bump and based on the number of shims used at the front two corners its a pretty good bump. My concern: Do you think that a stand that is leveled almost completely on shims is going to create a problem. This is the only place I have to put this aquarium so if this is a bad idea I'll have to sell/store the tank. Which is fine but disappointing.

Thanks
    Last edited by muskyhunter81; 08-29-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Leveling 75 Gallon Aquarium

Are the shims under the tank or the shelf?

Registered Member

The shims are under the stand.

Real Name
    Steve

My 75 shelves have wooden shims under corners for leveling, and it seems to be working fine. I previously had a problem because I didn't level the stands and i think that contributed to the tanks developing leaks. I actually have wooden blocks under all the legs to raise the stand a bit and keep them from pushing into the carpet too much, then I added shims where needed.

Registered Member

I guess my question is how much of the tank stand should be in direct contact with the floor? or is it okay for a stand to be sitting almost exclusively on shims?

Registered Member

Here is a diagram of what i've got going on.

Aquarium Shim.png

You should be fine.
    I like to check level several times as I fill the tank as wooden stands can settle.

Would it be possible to move to a house that has level floors. LOL

Jeanne

Real Name
    Mark

Another point to check is to put your level on the tank bottom side to side and front to back. The reason is I had a 220 gal tank with a frame that was off. So make sure it’s level. This becomes a problem with dual overflows or coast to coast overflows or just a crooked water line with the frame.

Real Name
    Steve

Glad others chimed in. Unless your floor or stand construction is questionable, I think it's fine, too. The weight distribution change is to the floor, not the stand. Depending on the stand construction, I might have considered diagonal shims on the front corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    Another point to check is to put your level on the tank bottom side to side and front to back. The reason is I had a 220 gal tank with a frame that was off. So make sure it’s level. This becomes a problem with dual overflows or coast to coast overflows or just a crooked water line with the frame.
    And yes... I've had aquariums that the plastic frames were misaligned as well.