AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water storage

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gaz

Default Water storage

Might be a silly question but here goes am new be gentle Just curious how long can I store hma water if I keep the temp up and air rate it in a 200-litre barrel ie for water changes

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Water storage

G'day Gaz. I would say indefinitely, though most here age their water in the way you asked about for 24hrs to achieve a stable pH. The aerating allows gases (often CO2) from being pressurized in the process of delivering city water to you home to be released, causing some measure of pH swing to occur from when it first comes out of the faucet. Once the water is aged, it becomes stable and you can store & use it at your leisure.

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

In my experiences with the water where I live, it is very soft, zero Kh and around 4 defrees GH, long term storage is not viable. The water from my rain tank has a ph of 5. It comes from the sky and the tap around 7.2, many days later it falls in a heap.

I was taught on the BIKA forum around 15 years ago that dehclorinated water picks up bacteria easily. Best to use it within 24 hrs if possible.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I was taught on the BIKA forum around 15 years ago that dehclorinated water picks up bacteria easily. Best to use it within 24 hrs if possible.
    This is why I treat the water as it's being pumped into the tank rather than while it's in storage

But Brian, when the air has been bubbling in the container over night the chlorine gets gassed of as well as CO2.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Maybe I was too generalized. My water has chloramines that are not off gassed.

Got it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Dechlorinated water has way less bacteria than water with fish living in it. There's an endless supply of food for bacteria there while levels of organics are very low in tap water.

I dechlorinate water immediately and have stored it for weeks.

I did to before I was told that I was doing wrong. Could be they were mistaken.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Shaun's Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shaun Stoddart

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Dechlorinated water has way less bacteria than water with fish living in it. There's an endless supply of food for bacteria there while levels of organics are very low in tap water.

I dechlorinate water immediately and have stored it for weeks.
    Just keep an eye on the PH for swings and a drop before you go pumping into the tank.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun's Discus View Post
    Just keep an eye on the PH for swings and a drop before you go pumping into the tank.
    I use a short cycle timer to fill my tank in stages so the fish can acclimate to any changes in pH and TDS, etc. I start the pump off at something like 2 min on/8 off, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I use a short cycle timer to fill my tank in stages so the fish can acclimate to any changes in pH and TDS, etc. I start the pump off at something like 2 min on/8 off, repeat.
    Nice set up I'd like to see pics of how it's done in the DIY section. It's not what were talking about in this thread.
    Mama Bear

I suppose id depends on what you are doing with the water. In a hatchery setting, best to use it up before it becomes alive but for larger fish I can see no harm in long term ageing, so long as there's no access for aquatic beasts.
    Eg. if a diseased frog made it's home in your barrel it might cause grief.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Registered Member

Tap water isn't remotely close to being sterile. There's even Mycobacterium living in there.

Still, the amount of bacteria that can grow in tap water pales in comparison to that living in aquarium water, in the filter, substrate, and the fish. Tap water contains relatively little food for bacteria but most people keep a huge amount of organic waste in their filters and substrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast