AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water storage

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Water storage

The advantage of keeping the water storage tanks NOT dechlorinated/dechloraminated is that there's no slime buildup.

Every morning, I change out all the discus tanks using conditioned water from storage. I add Chloram-X as the conditioned water (aeration and heating only) is added to the tank. The storage tanks get refilled with tap water and the process repeats itself 24 hours later. I've used these tanks for 3 - 4 years and the inside walls have zero bacterial buildup.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Those are probably nitrifying bacteria. Whatever it is it's nothing in comparison to the bacterial soup fish live in.

Real Name
    Mervin

I've left water in the aging barrel for a week, never have I had slime on the inside of my aging barrel. It has never been wiped down for at least 10 years. I would never put dechlor in the barrel and let it set there. We use chlorine and I usually don't even put dechlo in their aged water after being aged for a day; the chlorine evaperates out in that time, just like they did years ago before dechlor was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmantoon View Post
    Might be a silly question but here goes am new be gentle Just curious how long can I store hma water if I keep the temp up and air rate it in a 200-litre barrel ie for water changes
    Lol.. No such thing,

I can't tell you the last time I cleaned my water storage barrels. Has to be years now and mines well water fairly hard and 7.8 pH aged. I have gone away a week and used the water when I returned. I age my water to remove CO2 and stabilize the pH. I'm really not concerned with bacteria in that water... Theres bacteria everywhere and probably the majority of what is in my barrel is harmless bacteria. My Barrels are Grey Rubbermaid garbage pails. I can't tell you what kind of bacterias are there but I know they are harmless to fry....of that I have no doubt! Granted that may not be the case for everyone else.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12