AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: female eating fry as they hatch

Registered Member

Default female eating fry as they hatch

I have a proven pair .Unfortunately as soon as the eggs start hatching the female starts
    eating them. I know if she laid eggs on cone or the flower pot I have in the tank I could put
    a screen over it. BUT, she insist on lay on the back glass in the same spot towards one end
    of the tank.
    Being that that they are on glass and I can't use a screen could I partition off half the tank when she lays the eggs
    and put an airline with a gentle stream directed up passed the eggs. And, when they become free swimming,
    remove the partition so that they can feed on the parents?
    I know she might eat them at that point . If she does I'm at a loss on how to raise the fry.
    Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated since these are two special fish.
    7-1/4 male blue turq and a 6-3/4 blue ss female, both absolutely beautiful.
    Thank you
    Jay

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: female eating fry as they hatch

Are you certain she is not relocating them? Sucking them in and then putting them elsewhere? The fry don't go free swimming for 2-3 days and attach by the head to a surface the parents move them too. This was the case with my pair, so it begged the question...

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    I have a proven pair .Unfortunately as soon as the eggs start hatching the female starts
    eating them. I know if she laid eggs on cone or the flower pot I have in the tank I could put
    a screen over it. BUT, she insist on lay on the back glass in the same spot towards one end
    of the tank.
    Being that that they are on glass and I can't use a screen could I partition off half the tank when she lays the eggs
    and put an airline with a gentle stream directed up passed the eggs. And, when they become free swimming,
    remove the partition so that they can feed on the parents?
    I know she might eat them at that point . If she does I'm at a loss on how to raise the fry.
    Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated since these are two special fish.
    7-1/4 male blue turq and a 6-3/4 blue ss female, both absolutely beautiful.
    Thank you
    Jay
    Jay,
    Is this pair in its own tank? what size tank?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jay,
    Is this pair in its own tank? what size tank?

al
    Yes Al , They are in a 29 with a hydro 5. I went down this am and saw wrigglers and an hour later
    went down and they were all gone.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Are you certain she is not relocating them? Sucking them in and then putting them elsewhere? The fry don't go free swimming for 2-3 days and attach by the head to a surface the parents move them too. This was the case with my pair, so it begged the question...
    Dano
    They were just starting to hatch. The few that had hatched were attached to the glass.
    They were literally just hatched.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Yes Al , They are in a 29 with a hydro 5. I went down this am and saw wrigglers and an hour later
    went down and they were all gone.
    Jay
    Jay.. if.you have any old heaters.. use the suction cups they come with on a piece of screen. You can then screen the eggs if they are on the glass wall using the suction cup to hold it. It works well for glass layers.

Hopefully then they will bond with the fry and not eat them when they go free swimming.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jay.. if.you have any old heaters.. use the suction cups they come with on a piece of screen. You can then screen the eggs if they are on the glass wall using the suction cup to hold it. It works well for glass layers.

Hopefully then they will bond with the fry and not eat them when they go free swimming.

Al

Thanks Al. Great idea.Let you know what happens the next time.
    Jay