ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Velvet Shrimp Tank Journey

Default Blue Velvet Shrimp Tank Journey

Not much to look at but it's where I'm starting. A 20 gallon high (long would have been better but I don't have one of those). A couple of pieces of Anubis on drift wood, some floating water lettuce, 4 smallish L144's. and 2 Magenta Mystery snails.

I ordered my Matten filter from Swiss tropicals this morning. Tomorrow I'll be taking 4 6" common plecos to my pet store as well as a couple of small gifts for the wife half of the owner ship, Twee. I'll pick up my gravel tomorrow, but I don't want to put it in until the filter arrives and I put it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 09-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Blue Velvet Shrimp Tank Journey

I got my gravel from the LPS Tuesday. My Subwassertang arrived Friday, and the Matten filter finally got here yesterday. I have everything but the shrimp which I'll hope to order tomorrow for Tuesday delivery. It all depends on how I stand with them money wise. I let them keep track because I they're honest and I trust them and they are good at keeping up with the money part and I'm not. Ken is letting me have the shrimp at his cost, $2.50 each if I order in groups of 12. I'd like to order 24 little blue shrimpies to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Liz,
    Is the subwassertang the floating ball or stuff on the bottom? I'm planning to get some for my shrimp.

The subwassertang is the stuff on the bottom. The floating ball is java moss.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Great, thanks. I was actually hoping that was the case.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good Liz...a splash of blue is all that's needed now!!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Liz, is that the same water lettuce I sent you? after 8 or so months, mine started to do bad to the point that it dissipated from my tank. I've never seen a plant downsize to the point of disappearance.

Yessir, same water lettuce. It grows in my Rainbowfish tank to the point that I had to throw 2 big handfuls away. I also give some to my LFS for free. They like it because it keeps the algae down in their tanks plus sometimes they sell some.

If you want some back shoot me a pm. it's yours for the asking.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yessir, same water lettuce. It grows in my Rainbowfish tank to the point that I had to throw 2 big handfuls away. I also give some to my LFS for free. They like it because it keeps the algae down in their tanks plus sometimes they sell some.

If you want some back shoot me a pm. it's yours for the asking.
    It's OK Liz, it's actually much better without them since I have a skimmer. They would get stuck at the skimmer and it changed the flow so often that I could not quiet the water returning to the sump. I have a red sea tank and you know those things are SILENT. I'm enjoying my silence now lol. Thank you for the kind gesture though.

I'll enjoy them through you and your beautiful blue velvet shrimp tank

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Hey Liz, still want more Java Moss? I can trade you some for a 2nd batch of the lettuce,
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I'm actually fine for Java moss, barb. I had more than I thought. I'll get instructions on how Mando shipped the water lettuce when he checks in with me tonight. I don't want another disaster.
    Mama Bear

The blue shrimpies are in the tank and appear to be very happy. Pics tomorrow. I promise.
    Mama Bear

I never took pics because the shrimp didn't show up at all with that blue background. I need to paint the back of a tank white and use white gravel.

Also, I started loosing shrimp at an alarming rate. I the flow on the matten filter too strong. This is the first time I'd used one of their lifters. I had no idea how effective they are. It was too strong for 2 days before I noticed that I only could count 9 shrimp. I knew that I was loosing subwassertang the day before and I didn't associate it with the flow. When I counted just 9 shrimp I looked at everything in the tank set up, scratched my head, and notice that that lifter was shooting out water and bubbles like gang busters even though I had the air valve turned down meduim low.

I have not lost any subwassertang but I was only able to count 5 shrimp. When I picked the shrimp up Tuesday, Twee, the lady owner told me that she ordered 6 for herself. She told me twice to let her know if I lost any or mine, so perhaps some dead or sick ones were in the bag and she netted them out when she took out her 6.

I called the pet store today to asked her how hers are doing but she's off today. I'll call her Monday and find out. If she lost some too I'll tell her that I lost most of mine but since they get them replaced for free only if their wholesaler sends replacements for fish that die soon after purchase. If that's not the case I'll wait and see how I do with my remaining 5 before I have them order more for me,
    Mama Bear

I spoke to Twee today and she hadn't done a serious head count but she saw 4 shrimp alive by giving a quick look. Whatever happened was my fault. I hate it when that happens.

Twee is such a sweetheart. There wholesaler will replace dead fish but they need to know within 48 hrs. which IMO is not long enough because the usual suspects don't show up until 72 hrs., but that's what they do. I admitted that it had to have been my own fault but she felt so sorry for me. She's going to try to get at least another 6 for me free.

I love these folks. I give them stuff like plants that I have too many of. When I go to their store I always have 3 dozen eggs for Twee. She is Asian and has 4 boys at home. She says that 3 dozen will last through the weekend what with breakfast and fried rice and all. I guess they're nice to me because I'm nice to them back. I've been dealing with them since 2001.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

May I ask what happened? was I ultimately the filter? Twee and her family do sound like amazing people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast