ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Velvet Shrimp Tank Journey

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Blue Velvet Shrimp Tank Journey

Sorry to hear about your losses mate. Sounds like a precious friendship Liz.

Armando, It's a mom and pop shop. There's a Pet Smart just down the road, closer to where the people with money shop. Pet Smart put a fish only shop out of business. Ken and Twee are still able to make a living from their little store. Mom and Pop stores are a dying breed. It's a shame.

I think that the flow from the lift tube was too fast. I had it turned down to medium low but it buffeted the water lettuce around and I know that they like calm water. It also killed most of my Subwassertang. I'd had the shrimp for 3 days before I woke up to a huge die off. It wasn't until then that I needed to find a solution. That's the best thing I could come up with. I won't know if I'm right until I add more shrimp tomorrow.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 09-16-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    Mama Bear

Thanks Danny.
    Mama Bear

I got my replacement fish Tuesday. When I asked if the wholesaler had helped them out any they didn't answer so I guess not. I told them that I don't want hand outs but I guess they ignored me and did as they wanted. I always have 3 dozen eggs every time for free for Twee (My eggs are for giving away, not selling!) I always have plants for them that I want nothing for. I was amazed when I gave them a nice scoop of Cherry shrimp and they paid me $20. for them. Mine were given to me so I had always thought of them and for giving away. I guess that in this case they thought of it as trading good deeds.

At any rate, the shrimp are all doing fine. I do a head count every morning after feeding. I had 7 of my origination shrimp which is more than I thought so that makes a total of 19 which is great. I saw a mama shrimp with babies bouncing around in her body this morning. I'm on my way now.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I got my replacement fish Tuesday. When I asked if the wholesaler had helped them out any they didn't answer so I guess not. I told them that I don't want hand outs but I guess they ignored me and did as they wanted. I always have 3 dozen eggs every time for free for Twee (My eggs are for giving away, not selling!) I always have plants for them that I want nothing for. I was amazed when I gave them a nice scoop of Cherry shrimp and they paid me $20. for them. Mine were given to me so I had always thought of them and for giving away. I guess that in this case they thought of it as trading good deeds.

At any rate, the shrimp are all doing fine. I do a head count every morning after feeding. I had 7 of my origination shrimp which is more than I thought so that makes a total of 19 which is great. I saw a mama shrimp with babies bouncing around in her body this morning. I'm on my way now.
    Sooner or later you will not be able to do a head count. Mine are multiplying by the dozens.

I'm excited to see that day. A tank slam full of little shrimp is a beautiful thing.

I'm considering moving my 6 Neons from my red shrimp tank to the Rainbow Fish tank. There are tons of great hiding places in that shrimp tank but I know that the Neons snag their share of the new tiny babies.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

If I put some of your blue shrimp in with my red ones will they make me purple shrimp??
    Barb =)

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Barb, what they make is ugly mutts.
    Mama Bear

I have been loosing shrimp one by one although the remaining shrimp seemed happy and healthy. A week ago I thought I saw a small creature in the gravel. By the time I got my glasses it had disappeared. I saw it again yesterday. It was bigger. It swam away and hid as soon as I tried to net it. This morning I decided to move the shrimp. I netted 11 and moved them. As I was moving their plants I saw one of the creatures hiding in the swabwassertang. Then I found another. I went back a minute ago and spied 2 baby shrimp and moved them. I also caught another monster and snapped a pic. Anyone know what this thing is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

I looks like a dragon fly nymph Liz. There are many varieties but I found this image in the web...it looks pretty similar
    14755165667_648c9bf15e_b.thumb.jpg.f51fae33357dff71483bdd11285c084f.jpg
    This was the text that came with the image!

Dragonflies or Odonata Anisoptera, are a group of insects belonging to Class Insecta, Order Odonata and Suborder Anisoptera. Considered as ancient, their ancestors were around during the Jurassic Period, along with the dinosaurs. They are predators. Their life cycle breaks down into three distinct stages: the larval stage, the nymph stage and the adult stage. Nymphs can spend a number of years living in fresh water. The adults, which may only last a few days or weeks, can fly. Adults emerge to mate and repeat the dragonfly life cycle. The body length of the average adult dragonfly can vary between 2.54 cm to 10.16 cm. Ancient dragon flies could have a wingspan as large as 70 to 75 cm in extent. The juvenile, dragonfly nymph can range in size between 1.27 cm and 3.81 cm.

The dragonfly nymph is a formidable predator. It spends its life just below the water surface, and has a “hinged labium, a form of a “toothed” lower jaw. It can extend this out every quickly then retract it. This way, the juvenile dragonfly can catch and eat tadpoles, mosquito larvae and even small fish.

Does the dragonfly nymph pose a threat to fish and shrimps in an aquarium? The short answer is definitely yes. There may be as many as 1500 eggs originally hatched. Having come down to us from the Jurassic period, the Odonata Anisoptera juvenile is equipped with the equivalent of a “rapture like lower jaw”. They would have no problems consuming both small fish and shrimps in an aquarium. Bringing fresh water from natural sources may sound a good idea, but there could be a good chance that this could be contaminated with the dragonfly nymph.

Another indication would be that both the small shrimps and fish are showing signs of stress. They are aware that there are dragonfly nymphs in there with them. Removing Odonata Anisoptera may not be that easy once the aquarium is infested with them.

One method could be to use a plastic straw to suck the juveniles out individually. Plants and other water vegetation need to be agitated to get them to move, as the dragonfly nymph can remain very still. Dropping the water temperature in the aquarium by three to five degrees Celsius, might stress shrimps in the tank. This might also bring the dragonfly nymph to the surface.
    Last edited by danotaylor; 10-07-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Wow, Danny, you're good! That's what it is. Do you know if they're predators of shrimp? I keep the back door to the fish room open during the warm months so it could have come from me. I never saw a dragon fly down there but I don't spend my entire life in the fish room.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Liz the article says they are predators and will feed on small fish and shrimp. Glad you found them and removed the shrimp when you did.
    Peace mate

Thanks a million, Danny.-
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

My pleasure Liz!!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Danny is right. I found the same thing in my fountain a few months ago and they are dragonfly nymphs. I’m not worried about my fish because they reproduce like hell and there is enough mosquito larvae and frog eggs for everyone.

I also have ghost shrimps and snails in the fountain but they replicate just as much as the guppies and mollies do.
    Last edited by Mando; 10-07-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12