ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Discus with white cottony growth and white stringly feces - Please Help!!!

Real Name
    Tanja

Default Re: Discus with white cottony growth and white stringly feces - Please Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    how are the fish holding up? any updates?
    Thank you for asking!! Yes, Daedalus (the jumper) just finished eating his beef heart for the first time! I'm so happy. 4 of the 5 seem healthy, one of them still isn't eating and she's the one who was pooping the most white...

Oh, and their home is finally about done cycling nitrites, but I'm wondering if Daedalus will be bullied a lot when I finally unite them... I had him in with the others for about 5 minutes yesterday and I had to pull him out, they're being too hostile. So... Should I maybe separate them all from one another before I finally put them back home? They have another 4 days to go with metro. Thanks!!!!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Discus with white cottony growth and white stringly feces - Please Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
    Thank you for asking!! Yes, Daedalus (the jumper) just finished eating his beef heart for the first time! I'm so happy. 4 of the 5 seem healthy, one of them still isn't eating and she's the one who was pooping the most white...

Oh, and their home is finally about done cycling nitrites, but I'm wondering if Daedalus will be bullied a lot when I finally unite them... I had him in with the others for about 5 minutes yesterday and I had to pull him out, they're being too hostile. So... Should I maybe separate them all from one another before I finally put them back home? They have another 4 days to go with metro. Thanks!!!!
    Don't put Deadalus in there with them since he was not on the metro treatment. Finish the treatment with the others, check for any other issues and then put them in the main tank. Then put deadalus in qt so you can medicate him.

Have the others shown white feces as of late?
    Last edited by Mando; 09-19-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Something Pat told me omes to mind. When you're ready to put them all together, try putting the weakest one (and maybe another small one) in for a few days, then introdu e the rest. Maybe they will hange the pe king order...

Sorry, my keyboard is rapping out and the " " isn't working

Real Name
    Tanja

Brian, that's a great idea! I will definitely try that.

Have the others shown white feces as of late?
    One of them has a kind of see-through feces, but she's eaten today which she wasn't eating for weeks! The other four and Daedalus seem fine.

BUT I've actually attached a picture, if one of you could help me out and tell me if this tiny white spot in the upper body could be ick, or maybe just damaged scales, I would so appreciate it:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Looks like one of those pimples discus get from poor water quality. Don’t quote me though. Let Brian chime in.

Shouldn’t be ick since you have not introduced fish and they are in 82-88 temp water.

Real Name
    Tanja

Looks like one of those pimples discus get from poor water quality. Don’t quote me though.
    Oh I WILL!! They've been in an uncycled 20 gallon tank for two weeks!! I've been doing 2 x 50% water changes daily with tap water containing 2 ppm ammonia... Thankfully the tank downstairs is almost ready for them!

But Brian's viewpoint is definitely welcome as well.

Real Name
    Brian

Without going back and confusing myself, what temp are they or it at?

Your water has to be good with the amount of WC's, and ich can't really survive at higher temps. Remember, water with chloramines can give false positive readings for ammonia.

To give you a little story, I've been battling with a group I received back in July, ups and downs, eating then not eating, dark and hiding, etc... I finally cranked the temp to 93 and one by one they started eating again and now are looking great. And this was without metro. When treating with metro, high heat is highly recommended.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Hey, Tanja.

Is he always leaning forward like that? or just the angle of the picture?

Real Name
    Tanja

Is he always leaning forward like that? or just the angle of the picture?
    He did it a couple times today as I was observing him after you said that. He does it when he's grazing for leftovers or could it also be something serious?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Without going back and confusing myself, what temp are they or it at?

Your water has to be good with the amount of WC's, and ich can't really survive at higher temps. Remember, water with chloramines can give false positive readings for ammonia.
    I've had them at 85 and today I increased it to 87. I'm worried about the high heats since I haven't been able to feed them very much for the past 2 weeks in the small tank. How often and how much should I feed them if I put it on high heat? As far as I know chloramines will break down into ammonia which Prime will then detoxify further into ammonium. So not as toxic as the real deal but definitely not the best either!

I finally cranked the temp to 93 and one by one they started eating again and now are looking great. And this was without metro. When treating with metro, high heat is highly recommended.
    I still have one fish not really eating much... And she's the one with the worst case of this. Should I crank the temp over time to those high levels or can they handle the switch immediately?

Thank you Brian and thank you Armando! I have no doubt my fish would have already perished without all of you.

Real Name
    Brian

It seems you may be ready to return them to a larger tank, so I would do that when you are ready and go ahead and turn the heat up to 93 in the hospital tank for any that are still off. They can take it and will hopefully respond to it fairly quickly, and metro is actually more effective with high temps. With the water changes you are doing, I would feed as normal. I'm lucky that mine are still fairly small and are in a 30 QT tank so raising the heat is not hard to do. Can you tell me again how many, how large and what size hospital tank?

Most glass heaters won't go that high. You may want to invest in a titanium heater with external controller. I've had bad luck with digital controllers and prefer manual. I use Via Aqua but they aren't made anymore.

Real Name
    Tanja

It seems you may be ready to return them to a larger tank, so I would do that when you are ready and go ahead and turn the heat up to 93 in the hospital tank for any that are still off. They can take it and will hopefully respond to it fairly quickly, and metro is actually more effective with high temps. With the water changes you are doing, I would feed as normal. I'm lucky that mine are still fairly small and are in a 30 QT tank so raising the heat is not hard to do. Can you tell me again how many, how large and what size hospital tank?
    I have 2 that are 4-5 inches and 3 that are around 3 inches in the 20 gallon hospital tank. The one who jumped is in his own tank. He's eating aggressively and doesn't have white feces. Do you think I could move him with the first group of healthy ones?

Most glass heaters won't go that high. You may want to invest in a titanium heater with external controller. I've had bad luck with digital controllers and prefer manual. I use Via Aqua but they aren't made anymore.
    My eheims have a setting up to 93 but I doubt it will ever really get that high. I set it to 91 and I'm getting 87-89 out of it. If my digital thermometer is accurate that is. I have two and they're 2 degrees apart. :/

Real Name
    Brian

Tanja I see no reason for any of your discus to have a problem with the higher temp. As a matter of fact, it would probably do them all good to soak in the heat for 10-14 days. This will pump up their metabolism and increase their appetite. My main concern was the ability to raise the temp that high in a larger tank. You are correct though, that many large discus have probably had enough of a small tank, lol...

I really wish I had documented the issues I've had with these discus of mine. Just when I thought they were a total write off, the 93 heat made an amazing rebound just as your original high dose of salt helped yours...
    Last edited by jeep; 09-21-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Real Name
    Tanja

Tanja I see no reason for any of your discus to have a problem with the higher temp. As a matter of fact, it would probably do them all good to soak in the heat for 10-14 days. This will pump up their metabolism and increase their appetite. My main concern was the ability to raise the temp that high in a larger tank. You are correct though, that many large discus have probably had enough of a small tank, lol...
    Thank you I will definitely do that then and let the big tank "cycle" with some panda catfish. The 5 of them seem fine in there, it's just a hassle with the jumper because I have to treat him in a different tank... They're too aggressive for me to put him in with the others at this point.

I really wish I had documented the issues I've had with these discus of mine. Just when I thought they were a total write off, the 93 heat made an amazing rebound just as your original high dose of salt helped yours...
    Only one of mine seems to be sick and she hasn't improved much. Hopefully the higher temps will help her too!

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

You added panda cat fish or you always had them with the discus? I hope they are not new addition

Depending how you answer the above question, I would move all the good looking discus back to main tank. Keep the sickly looking one in the qt. If deadalus is not showing any ill signs, white poo, darkening, and he is eating well, then he can go in maintank as well.

I’m afraid you’re going to be back at square one if you put catfish in the main tank without qt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
    He did it a couple times today as I was observing him after you said that. He does it when he's grazing for leftovers or could it also be something serious?
    No concerns then.
    Last edited by Mando; 09-21-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Real Name
    Tanja

You added panda cat fish or you always had them with the discus? I hope they are not new addition :
    They're not in there yet but they will be a new addition. One of the problems I was having was a lot of leftover food from only having 6 fish in a big tank... They've been through a 30 day quarantine where they're coming from but I usually put my fish through at least API general cure before I put them into my tank.

That being said... I'm looking at another month of the discus in this small tank. So maybe I should just risk it and put them in first. What do you think?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast