AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick discus

Default Re: Sick discus

Hi Andrea,
    Reading over your info here at Brian's request.Its very likely that the angels are suffering from the same infection as the discus. Angels generally do not slime up like Discus do. If I understand this the new fish were qtd by the store but not you and then added to the main tank of angels and discus?

Most likely the new discus were carrying a pathogen.. the stress of the transport and new tank caused them to break down and start shedding pathogens which in time starts affecting your other fish.The question is if its viral, protozoan or bacterial. If viral it needs to run its course, some fish will not make it. If protozoan or bacterial or both we can treat this.

I would stay the course with the furan 2 for st least 7 days... unfortunately you may loose the most stressed out fish you are treating.

if thats not an option...Salt Dips.
    Ideally salt dips to a clean tank would be my suggestion. Its alot of work as you just keep dipping them and moving between 2 clean tanks for several days but its highly effective on external parasites.It may also help if bacterial...

If you chose not to go this route than salt at 1 tablespoon per 1 gal for the next week is what I would do.That and 100% water changes daily before replacing the salt. Your corys should be ok with this but its not a definite .All fish in the tank would need to go thru this treatment.

Alternatively you can try seachems paraguard. ..or pp but with the pp you can do more harm than good in some cases.

If you bought the stock at somewhere local to you I would pay the store a visit and check out the fish there in the discus tank.. see if they are sick or being treated and compare notes. It may help you figure out what you dealing with.

Its not easy to figure out what the disease agent is when there are so many factors at play. I wish I could tell a sure fire fix but its not that.easy
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-06-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12