ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Clipping hose to tank?

Real Name
    Ally

Default Clipping hose to tank?

I tried using the pond pump technique to fill up my tank yesterday and it worked beautifully - other than the fact I have too much hose and it took twice as long as it should have.

I do have a question though - what do you use to clip the hose to the tank to prevent the hose from just falling out of the tank and creating soggy devastation? Mine kept trying to sneak out once the water was high enough.
    I don't have a lid to wedge it under, and I recall someone here posting an image of a clip that worked well on thicker hoses. Would love to know what people use!

Secondly - what airline/hose do you use? MY pump can take a few different diameters, but I like the .5 size best. The hose I have is very prone to kinking and I can see the winding up afterwards getting old real fast. Unfortunately, I need 50ft to get from my ageing barrel to the tank...
    Last edited by Pudmuppy; 09-05-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Clipping hose to tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Pudmuppy View Post
    I tried using the pond pump technique to fill up my tank yesterday and it worked beautifully - other than the fact I have too much hose and it took twice as long as it should have.

I do have a question though - what do you use to clip the hose to the tank to prevent the hose from just falling out of the tank and creating soggy devastation? Mine kept trying to sneak out once the water was high enough.
    I don't have a lid to wedge it under, and I recall someone here posting an image of a clip that worked well on thicker hoses. Would love to know what people use!

Secondly - what airline/hose do you use? MY pump can take a few different diameters, but I like the .5 size best. The hose I have is very prone to kinking and I can see the winding up afterwards getting old real fast. Unfortunately, I need 50ft to get from my ageing barrel to the tank...
    This https://www.zoro.com/irwin-spring-cl...UaArZTEALw_wcB.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ally

Thanks, Pat! Just ordered some!

Registered Member

You can use a PVC "hook" to feed into the tank.

Quick google search :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmFUBKZNqiY

Real Name
    Brian

Real Name
    Tom

I assemble 2 90's like above some with valves some not ..I draw from a temp controlled source ..

Nice to be able to fill tanks with 82f or 76f or 86f if you want right out of source … That is a shower faucet that goes through filters and then to a 1/4 turn on/off so I don't really change temp all that often .On/Off water changes … The red line goes to my RO/DI as they perform better with warm water ...

^^Here you can see my simple 90 with no valve on the white [potable water] hose during water change on ram tank.^^

Registered Member

I use one of these:

Real Name
    Bill

On the hose, I have tried a few options and for a 50' run I'd highly recommend going with a python, exactly because of the kinking problem with cheaper and smaller diameter hoses (have bought .5 from Lowe's before and ended up cutting it up into small sections for siphoning things off tank floors into buckets.) I've also ordered very large 1 or 1 1/4 inch plastic tubing which I thought would help me drain and fill faster. It can, and sometimes I use a section of it if I can drain right out a window or something and want to take the tank down fast, but it's heavy and stiff and hard to work with.

Some people will use RV-style vinyl hoses rated for potable water--there are some on Amazon--but for me, the real issue is whether the hoses will coil and uncoil easily, aren't too heavy, and don't kink.

For me, with about a 35' run from my sink to my barrel, and about a 70' run from my barrel to my display tank, the python has been something I can deal with day in and day out. They also make a "hook" you can use if you like, and I especially like using their "quick connect" brass fittings in key spots.

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho...740437007&th=1

Registered Member

I simply put the hose nozzle under the plastic cover and put a 2# wt on the cover. Done.
    Jay

what the hell is a 2# wt?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

guessing ...two pound weight

Could be. I just can't see it in my mind. I hope you post a pic, brady
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Could be. I just can't see it in my mind. I hope you post a pic, brady
    Liz
    It is a 2# weight. All it does is trap the hose end between the cover,which in my case is sheets of acrilic,
    and the top edge of the tank. The wt. is enough to prevent the hose from backing out because of the water
    pressure. Try it, easy, cheap and it works.
    Jay