AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Best Cory Catfish for Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Question Best Cory Catfish for Discus

I currently have Cory Sterbai in one of my tanks. I’m very happy with them but wonder if there are others that are equal or better at keeping my BB Discus tank clean. I normally buy at AquaBid, but there are none for sale at present. I want to make sure that it is a Cory that will not get big as the tank is only 60 gallons. Any suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: Best Cory Catfish for Discus

Corydoras species as a whole are ill-suited to discus tank temperatures. Besides Sterbei, here are the few others recommended as okay at temperatures above 80 degrees.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common...distr_id_url=0

This link doesnt seem to be working. But, to get selections:
    Go to Cat-elog ( tab at top left corner).
    Select Callichthyidae for family
    Leave Genus unset
    Put in temp minimum and maximum.
    Last edited by Discluv; 09-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

According to the chart you linked, none of those listed could handle the 85 F temp of my Discus tank. My Sterbai seem to be fine. Would Green Lasers qualify as a high temp Cory? Thanks.

No, the Green laser spends the majority of the year at temperatures around 75-76 degrees.

Look for:
    Corydoras adolfoi
    Last edited by Discluv; 09-06-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

I did as you suggested. There were none selected. Outside of 0-40 C was the message.

Not really what you are after, but my small bristle noses clean and stir up my bare bottom tank every bit as well as the cory's, a combo of both keeps everything pretty well spotless.
    My tank - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135251-coopers-6x2x2&highlight=

Try whiptails they can take higher temp don't get very big and are very docile, look for the hemilocarina or rineloricaria I have them in my tank and they are doing very good.

Jeanne

Registered Member

I have two Green Cory with Discus for one year now. Temp is 82 degrees. The Corys are doing well.

You could meet them in the middle. Since 82 degrees is well outside of the window of an extreme temperature that a green corydoras would ever experience- you could set your temperature at 80 degrees. This is outside of the temp for discus as well. But, since we are doing it with the corydoras- why not do it with the discus as well. The discus should be fine.

Real Name
    Bill G.

My green Cories are doing great in my Discus tanks and imo, the bottom is kept quite clean. Oops, almost forgot, they are in 86/87 degree Discus tanks. They’ve been in for just shy of two years wo problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    My green Cories are doing great in my Discus tanks and imo, the bottom is kept quite clean. Oops, almost forgot, they are in 86/87 degree Discus tanks. They’ve been in for just shy of two years wo problems.
    Wow! 10-11 degrees over the temperature required for this species-- and all fine! Why worry about those temps, anyways, right? Just lower the temp for the discus to 80 degrees-- the discus will be fine.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave Thies

Thanks for the great feedback. I feel much better now. Stendkers recommend corys without specifying a variety. I guess they know what they’re talking about. Plecos and corys for cleaners.