ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best fish for breeding

Registered Member

Default Best fish for breeding

Hello I have successfully breed discus several times. Now I was wondering if anyone has tried other fish. I have a few extra tanks. Are Neon tetra easy to breed? Any other ideas of more colorful ones? Advice welcome.

Default Re: Best fish for breeding

I'm breeding fresh water shrimp. They're easy and the pet store buys my extras. I'm also trying to breed Dutch Rams and bristlenose plecos but so far I've had no luck. They seem to breed for everyone else, though. I think that neons are very difficult.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

How do you breed the fresh water shrimp? How big do they get? Do I just buy one male and a female? Thank yoy

I got my last ones through my LPS but if you can't trust yours or don't like them, there are plenty for sale on Aquabid. Before you decide on the fancy expensive ones check out the water temps and parameters they like before you buy them. I have Red Cherry shrimp and Blue Velvet shrimp. They're both very pretty and both are easy to breed. Bristle nose plecos are good tank mates because they won't eat them. Google around. That's where I found out most of what I know about them. Good luck!
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Cool I will try thank you .....