AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: When will my pair of Golden Discus will breed?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Donny

Default When will my pair of Golden Discus will breed?

I bought them both for 250, golden discus pair the owner showed me they layed eggs. When I brought them home, very happy about the environment. Tank is a commynity tank with only 6 catdinal teteas and 14 juv. panda corydoras. For the past 2 days, I experienced them shaking a lot. I was actually scared that they might have some type of sickness but I read online that it is just a type of mating call. These are their photos http://imgur.com/gallery/tpp6tek . I have some few questions on what I should do to help them spawn. I tried each day 50% water changes, 2 feedings(trying to do one since the jumbo frozen bloodworms are making their tummies really big dont want them to get bloated), and I do a hose that makes it spray out and it makes it look and feel like it is raining in the tank. I also have a black background but not my sides. Should I cover the sides of the tank? Do they like moonlight lighting or just low clear light? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: When will my pair of Golden Discus will breed?

1. Discus will breed in a large tank, but they usually will breed more readily in a small tank. I prefer 37 gal cubes or 40 gal breeders.
    2. I tend to reduce the water changes if they start to clean a surface - typically 10% just to clean the gunk off the bottom. I will increase water changes after spawning.
    3. Very little chance that any free swimming fry would survive if you have tetras swimming around.
    4. No need for special lighting or any coverage until they spawn.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: When will my pair of Golden Discus will breed?

if they are doing their flirting dance, I'd let them be as they are already working on this without your involvement. You're probably going to cause a more stressful environment than good trying to get them to spawn. I used to get scared of letting their stomachs get big, but then I realized that I started under feeding. It's ok for them to have nice chunky bellies when they eat. if you look at the growout threads, you'll see that their bellies get quite big.